11/26/18

can't hardly finish one with starting another one.

That's how the holidays are.  The last of the Thanksgiving dishes aren't even put away (don't judge) and we've already put most of the Christmas decorations up. 

This was our Turkey day table. 


The whole "all new recipes" thing worked out perfectly.  It truly was one of the best meals I've ever made.  Yams, bacon parmesan stuffing, green bean casserole, copper penny carrots, a green salad, roasted potatoes.  All the old favorites, but with different (and welcome) new flavors.  The only thing that went truly wrong was the pie.  So, I made a second one on Friday...it was much the same.  But, I figured out what I'm doing wrong.  It's a quirk of the new stove.  Something I wouldn't have thought of, but two pies with doughy bottom crusts and I was able to figure out that I need to bake them in the bottom oven, where the gas jets are, not the top one that only gets convection heat. 

 But, we're enjoying the pie filling!

The trees all turned and lost their leaves at one time.  We had a freeze a couple weeks ago and that started it, but then it was windy all weekend, and that ended the fall color on most of the trees.  But, this is the Bradford Pear in front of the house, with the husband standing under it.  This was the first tree we planted in the yard together.  Well, I say together.  I think I picked it...and he dug the hole.  That's together, right?

 
 
And, at the same time, this Parlor Maple, or Chinese Lantern is blooming many flowers in the greenhouse.  
 

Next, it was time to start decorating for Christmas.  Well, on Friday, I spent most of the morning on my behind "resting" while Rob started to decorate.  Hey, I deserved to let my feet rest a little.  But, then I got up and decorated the swag and hung it.  This is the post Rob did on facebook with pictures I didn't even know he was taking. 


And, on Saturday, he assembled the tree and I decorated it.  Sydney is taking this year off.  She very conveniently has to work...retail, right?  I'm actually hoping that she misses it because I'd be fine if she wanted to decorate the tree next year. 


It's a lot of work. 

While I was cooking on Thanksgiving, Rob was putting lights on the house.  But, every year, it's doing just one more thing, so this year, he hung lights on my greenhouse.  Overkill?  Maybe, but it sure is cute!


Today, it's back to work...where I can get some rest.  Like every holiday, we were busy and this time of year, we are especially thankful for the abundance we enjoy.  It may not seem like much to many, but to us, it is more than enough and we are grateful that we can share some of it with others.

Everybody have a great Monday and a great week!  I started a new project, of course.  A Christmas tree quilt for Rob's Mom...because I'm almost certain I can squeeze in just one more project this year.  Almost certain. 

Almost.

Lane






5 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Back to work so you can rest -- love it! Yes, the decorating is a slippery slope. I feel like ours has spiraled way out of control and I'm begging my husband to pare it back and simplify this year. Somehow I feel like decking the house out to rival the mall decorations feeds the shopping/consumer frenzy that is squeezing out everything I love about Christmas. But he put up BOTH Christmas trees and decorated them with one of our sons, because he likes them. The only concession I got was no garland on all the stair railings this year!

Glad you had a good Thanksgiving and worked out why your pies weren't as good as usual. It's frustrating to go to all that work baking for a special occasion and then be disappointed.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving! Oh, but bacon parmesan stuffing? Off to search for a recipe. Sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

Great post! I had to read it twice......there was so much going on. Your table looked wonderful. I remember the swag from last year. It’s worth all the hard work. The fall leaves are so pretty. Of course you have time to start a new project.....you’re the Man .....that quilts!
Thanks for sharing. Mary

Anonymous said...

Love your dishes. A very busy week-end and much accomplished. Oh, how I envy you with all that already done. Will Rob put up the village?
Good job guys...lum

Dot said...

A Christmas tree quilt for Rob's mother - what a thoughtful plan. Good luck.

You have dedicated Thanksgiving dishes? I can't judge that they weren't put up immediately. I didn't even use the good china for the three of us (the fourth was new on the job and working the holiday). But like you, we were thankful to be together and enjoyed the meal.