2/11/19

Stay inside weekend

This was one of Austin's rare stay inside weekends.  Cold.  Rainy.  Dark.  Opportunity to quilt. 

I got the hexie flower quilt finished.  I bound it in one day.  It went really fast and I'm not sure why.  It's a medium sized quilt, finishing at  41.5x45.5.  It was meant to remind me of my garden and it does.  Wonky, colorful, lots of different greens. 


It still needs to be washed and blocked.  And, Rob reminded me that it needs a sleeve.  How do I feel about this one?  I'm worried about those wavy borders.  Worried I won't be able to  block that wave out.  We're going to have to see.  I love the concept.  And, while it's blocked, it should hang flat.  Til the first humid day, anyway.

But, it is what it is and I love it and am glad it is done.  I'm ready to set something else up to quilt.  Next!

I finished our pants.  I worked on them every morning last week.  When I ironed the upper hems in, I turned one of the pockets backward as I moved the waistband around the board.  I did it on all three pair and sewed it into one pair before I realized it.  I kept trying to put my hand in my pocket.  Took me a few minutes to figure out what was wrong. 



They fit perfect for relaxing and lounging.  We will enjoy them.  And, I can retire a pair I am not liking that I made a long time ago out of flannel.  They are from the original pattern.  No fly, elastic waistband and leg hems, no pockets.  They need to go.

And, I'm working on blue and orange hexies for the border on the hexie quilt. 


18 of 30 are this far, but they each still get another round of darker blue.  I shall be basting for a very long time, I think.  I keep running out of paper templates.  I've started punching templates out of junk mail again.  And, I've been pulling them out of the quilt center to re-use.  But, it's not enough.  I may have to put a couple borders on, then pull the templates out of them to re-use.  I think there are a thousand hexies in this border.  That's a lot of templates. 

Everybody have a great week!  I'm off to New Orleans this week.  I have a meeting there and will be presenting tomorrow morning.  One of those projects my boss made me do, now wants me to talk about what a great idea he had!  I can do that.  I've learned to do that.  It makes work so much easier when I do that.  And, so far, it's gone great.  I got a very nice boarding number at check-in yesterday.  My TSA precheck showed up.  Now, if I can just not stumble over my tongue tomorrow morning, everything should be great!

Be well!  Lane





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will be fine! Remember you have homemade flannel pants. They give you superpowers. Safe travels. Mary

Dot said...

I'm reading this the same day you are presenting. Good luck, though I pretty sure you have prepped thoroughly since that's your style.

That's an incredible number of hexie templates in your quilt. Also smart to use junk mail for them.