2/25/19

Yardwork weekends

Like all weekends, we were busy as the supply line for an invading army.  Saturday morning was about government business and I filed our taxes and some other pesky gov't paperwork and then I went out in the yard.  Rob spent Saturday scrubbing the deck clean so we could seal it on Sunday.  I raised the stones in the garden.  Of course, I didn't take any pics.  The stones slowly settle into the dirt, so every couple years, I lift them and add dirt under them and dig up the ajuga around them that would eventually cover them I guess.  I'm spreading the ajuga along the path.  I want it to be the groundcover around the stones and this year, I had enough to go all the way to the end of the path, so it should be a beautiful path this year. 

This has been my best year for iris.  This came from one tuber that I found on the sidewalk in front of a neighbor's house.  She passed away and her iris are mostly gone, but I still have these to remember her. 



I'm hoping that other iris bloom later in the year.  I have a lot of them and most of them don't bloom, so I'm hoping this is a sign that I did something right and we will get to see more of them flower. 

This bougainvillea was in bloom in the greenhouse.  I had tied all the branches together so it would be more upright and with all this flower, I couldn't help pull it out and let it breathe.  That curlicue thing is a cup holder.  I can bring a glass of ice water and set it in that and always find it.  I have two and am looking for more. 


The ferns are putting out dozens of fiddle heads.  These are going to be so thick and lush this year.  They cluster around the base of a tree shaped shrub and fill a corner of the garden.  Again, I planted a couple and I ended up with a huge grouping.  I must be doing something right. 


This kolancho (sp) was also blooming in the greenhouse.  Soon as the deck is ready to have the table put back on it, I'm going to put this on the table. 


As much time as I spent in the yard, I also spent time in the studio.  I finished the table runner top on Friday and got it pin basted so Saturday, it was ready to go.  I quilted it with simple lines and bound it that night while we watched Green Book and it's already on the table.  I think that any others I make will be smaller blocks.  May be three 8" blocks instead of two 12".   I'm also thinking about making some placemats. 


I guess I was feeling ambitious because I also pin basted the pink one and got it quilted.  I did an all over pattern from Angela Walters' book and it's ready to trim and bind.  (But it's so pink)


And, just to impress you, I also got the sleeve made and sewn on that flower quilt that I finished a couple weeks ago, so it's ready to launder and block.  And, just in time for the March guild meeting. 

The rest of the weekend was spent with Rob.  We shopped for plants and a tool box for my sewing machine tools and shoes and took Sydney to lunch yesterday before dropping her at work.  We went out for Cajun food Saturday night and it wasn't fit to eat.  And, we enjoyed ourselves anyway.  Just the two of us sitting there, watching the crowd and talking about our week and our day and what we hoped to do the next day.  We talked recently about men that say they're bored with their partner and how we believe that's usually because they're bored with themselves.  And, if they'd try something different and see how their partner responded, maybe their partner wouldn't look so boring anymore. 

I'm so glad we did that. 

Everybody have a great Monday!!  Lane

  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure looks like spring...even green grass. I’m jelly! We still have 3 feet of snow. Thanks for sharing. Have a good day. Mary

Anonymous said...

Don't have any iris blooming, maybe not any plants. Can't seem to find any. Hopefully our Spring will begin soon. Lots of rain. It is always good to talk to each other, never know what you will find out... lum

Rebecca Grace said...

I used to pass a house on my way home with a yard that transformed into a SEA of irises every Spring. The land was sold to a builder who crammed a bunch of houses where that field of irises used to be. I'm glad they are blooming where you can enjoy them since I don't get to see them anymore!

Your table runners look great, and YES we're impressed. Just not surprised, because we're used to your amazing creative output, those of us who've been with you for awhile. Cajun food not even fit to eat?! THAT sounds scary. I'm glad y'all survived and had a great time despite the attempted poisoning!