3/4/19

Not a weekend for yard work.

Gone were the sunny springs skies of February (Texas weather).  Instead, it was cold, windy and wet.  A good weekend to sew, sew I did. 

I got the last border on the HST quilt.  The working title now is "I used to have a box of bonus triangles."  It would be a great title, except I still have a box of HST.  It's just a smaller box.  Anyway, I had to play in the corners or add another round of 3" blocks so the outer edge of 4" blocks would fit, and I just didn't want to do that.  And, the quilt doesn't need the additional size.  It's plenty big now and VERY heavy. 


But, the real magic in this quilt is the "wrong side".  And, all those perfectly matched seam allowances.  I'm tempted to take it to show and tell tonight, just to show off the wrong side. 



But, I was done with that by about 10am.  What to do next?  Well, Rob had asked for two shirts.  And, I felt guilty because I had just made pants out of the last fabric he asked me to make him a shirt out of, so I decided to just go for it.  I knew his pattern needed tweaking, so I did that at the same time.  I spent Saturday afternoon adjusting the pattern and cutting the fabric.  I didn't know how big the collars and collar stands needed to be (I was adapting a camp shirt pattern that has front facings instead of plackets and a single piece collar), so I had to be careful to leave big scraps as I cut.  This one is pine trees, with little deer.  It's a little Christmassy but in July, when I'm not still working off cookie weight, it probably won't make me think Christmas. 


This one is my favorite.  Rob is obsessed with vintage travel trailers, so when I saw this fabric, I knew he would love it. 


Like the HST quilt, it's the details you don't see that make me the happiest.  The collars of both shirts were cut upside down so that when they were applied and folded down, they would be right side up.  And, the pocket on the camper shirt... 


Uh-huh.  I did that. 

Everybody have a great day.  I think it's cold all over today.  Not looking forward to having to leave the house.  So, I might work from home.  Just because I can. 

Y'all have a great day!!  Lane






10 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Incredible attention to detail on Rob's new camping shirt! The quilt? Well, that is going to be QUITE the show stopper. It's spectacular!!!

Anonymous said...

Shirts are amazing. The pocket lines up perfect. Fit is right on. Rob looks happy. The HST’s.....I’m speechless....
And if you know me, that doesn’t happen often.
Thanks for sharing. Mary

Kevin the Quilter said...

That is an incredible quilt pattern with all of the hst's!

Dot said...

Nice choice of outside round on the triangle quilt. Beautiful piecing and no wonder it's heavy with all those perfectly matched seams. It makes me queasy to think of producing all those sharp points.

Rob's shirts look so good. Come to think of it, you made those very quickly. You must have tremendous focus.

Chances are most of us are working on losing that cookie weight. We are all in this together.

Anonymous said...

Your sewing talents are amazing. I made many shirts, but none as professional as yours. Rob looks like a "happy camper" in his new shirts. What are you making Sydney? That quilt should win several medals. lum

Unknown said...

Love the shirts. Nice job matching the pockets, you killed it!

Becky said...

Honestly Lane....you are giving me soooooo many options to my favorite quilt you have made. The triangle quilt is added to my list, now. You have such a gift for color, pattern, and DETAIL that I so love! I enjoy seeing your work...it makes my day!

Have a great weekend!
Love you bunches!
Becky

Sharlene said...

LOOOVE that quilt - very well done. Those shirts are magnificent in their details. Thanks for sharing.

Janet said...

I love your half-square triangle quilt so much. I wish I was in your guild so I could see it. You did a wonderful job.

Unknown said...

Love the quilt top and both shirts!