12/16/19

Weekends are always busy...

And, even with all I get done, I still don't feel like I got everything accomplished.  I've started having to keep lists of what is really important to make sure I stop doing the things that are fun long enough to get to the things I have to do. 

This weekend, I did some holiday baking; oatmeal cookies, cheese straws, more spiced pecans, and two batches of fudge...but one went in the garbage.  In my defense, it's the first time I've made fudge that didn't come out.  And, it's because I tried a different recipe.  So, when we went to the store, I picked up the supplies to make the regular recipe and it came out perfect!  The first batch tasted great, but was the color and consistency of dirt.  Too bad.

I also started a shirt for Rob.  I told him Friday night that I was giving him a gift this weekend, and when he asked why it was early (I think he was thinking it was something alive) I explained that this weekends gift was setting everything else aside to make him a new shirt to wear on Christmas day.  The shirt is a second gift.  He picked the fabric several weeks ago.  He's obsessed with vintage travel trailers. 


And, yes, the pocket does match. 


I finally broke down and made a plastic template to make that easier.  I can place the template where I want it on the shirt and trace some shapes.  Then, I just need to look for the same print repeat in the leftover fabric and I know exactly where to cut my pocket.  And, then I can erase my drawing for next time.  I don't know why I waited so long to do that.  Every time I make him a shirt, I think about how convenient this would be.  And, apparently my matching pockets have become a trademark that people look for when he shows off the shirts I make. 


Here are the pics of his village.  Retroville is his favorite.  JoAnn's sold this for a limited time and he bought a couple pieces, thinking he'd be able to buy more later.  Then on Christmas morning, he got most of the rest.  We're only one piece short and one day, I'll find it at a price that's reasonable.  (the danger of collecting things that are only available for a limited time!)





This is on top of the TV cabinet, so only appropriate that the TV shop should be front and center. 



On the china cabinet, he's set up the first village we bought together.  It's a different scale and fits this space perfect, but I keep trying to move the cookie jar.  It feels like a distraction.


This house is off by itself.  It's the first village house we bought from JoAnn's, back when I was nervous about being the only man in the store (hahahahahahahahahahaha, silly me).  The ship captain's son lives here.  The ship captain lives in the light house.  I think the ship captain might own the local gay pub...he's there enough.  (Rob's villages have stories and sometimes, the pieces move to fit the story.


These plates also hang in the dining room, and I've hung my collection of Lenox ornaments from them.  Sydney bought me this collection last year (and I think she and Rob are adding to it this year). 




The camelia is in bloom.  I say this every year, but my Grandmother grew camelias and I remember how fascinating it was that they were in bloom at Christmas.  So, I planted one and am always surprised when that first red bloom opens between T'giving and C'mas. 



And, the last thought for the day was from Goodwill yesterday.  We are avid goodwill shoppers and are glad to receive gifts from there, tho this time it was about needs, not gifts.  Rob cracked the joke that this is what it's going to look like at Goodwill when I die.  He's so wrong.  It will be black, steel, heavy duty, metal geared machines in cabinets, y'all.  Not white plastic. 


Everybody have a great week!!  I have two lunches scheduled to catch up with friends for the holidays, and I'm sure it will be slow at work.  Speaking of work, I did great at my meetings last week, talking to people, meeting people, laughing a lot with people I was getting to know. while my team huddled together like a high school clique.  I've really gotta show those folks how it's done.  You gotta mingle if you want to be accepted.  Let people get to know how you are. 

Now how's that for different from the shy introvert you guys met when I started this blog? 

Lane

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, post! Your shirt is perfect. I didn’t know such a tool existed. Love the decorations.
Did you take a sewing machine home? Thanks for sharing. Mary

Lane said...

I did not bring a sewing machine home. I’m being very good. After I had to pull them all out to paint, u realized my collection had become a problem. Thanks!!

bets said...

Love the shirt!! Where did you get the fabric? We have a truck camper, but I like the look of the vintage campers.
Have the merriest of Christmases!!
Missed you at AAQG last week.
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Love the blog, shirt is perfect. The village looks lived in, all it needs is snow. (For this time of year) Really enjoyed reading it, even tho I am very late. AT&T...lum

Dot said...

You really have shared your growth at work, step by step, haven't you? I tend to take it for granted that you were always very living (not just working) at the same capable level as now. I've learned from you that it's a step by step process and the trick is to keep taking that next step.

You are simply amazing in the nicest possible way.

Merry Christmas!