2/3/20

All work and no play...

makes for a dull blog post.  I looked at the pictures in my camera and there are no good ones from this week.  I spent too much time working and too little time photographing the fruits of my labor.

I did get the curtains in the studio finished.  They look exactly like they did before, except I know they're better.  They hang straight, if you close them the plaids line up, the hems don't bunch, and now I know that I need a new curtain rod because the one I'm using isn't quite long enough.  The curtains were so badly made I couldn't tell that the curtain rod sagged in the middle.  Now, I know.


Other than that, we cleaned the attic so they can blow in new insulation when they install the new HVAC unit.  We have our quotes and have made our decision.  Now, it's just getting the house ready.  First we had to move stuff in the attic and what better way than to move it to another building, like Goodwill and the lady that we give stuff to that sells it on ebay.  Rob is taking a truck load to the dumpster this morning.  We found all the bubble wrap that I used to move into this house in 1998.  Because you never know when you're going to need four large bags of bubble wrap, right?  Except it doesn't last forever and like other plastics stored in high heat, it breaks down...to a mess.  We are not hoarders, we're just very forgetful about what we store.  Almost everything I had in that attic is now gone.  There's a section for me and one for Rob and one for things Sydney didn't take when she moved, probably because she forgot it was up there.  Next weekend, we're bringing in dirt to build up the area where the new outside unit will sit on its concrete pad.  I haven't hauled dirt in a LONG time.  It will be interesting to see how long I can hold up to that. 

I took Friday off as a mental health day.  I barked at my boss on Wednesday and realized I needed to spend some time focusing on what is really important...and it's not my job.  I try to always remember that the job pays for my real life, but that it's the real life that's the important thing and I got that mixed up, but now I think it's all straightened out.  Only took 12 hours with a shovel in my hand to work out that stress and get my head back in the game. 

I am digging up and dividing on a large scale.  A friend from the office came on Saturday morning and took a variety of plants, but didn't make a dent in what I had to get rid of, so I started putting it in 20 year old moving boxes and putting it on the street with a sign that said "free" and told what the plants were.  The first three boxes were gone in 20 minutes.  I ended up putting out 8 boxes full, and they all got taken.  The neighbors are back this week and I know they want some, so I've left some in the ground for them to choose from and I let the young couple across the street know in case they want any of it...they're starting from scratch over there.  The friend that took plants on Saturday came back yesterday and shared some of her bounty of St John's Wort and some Poppies and a beautiful head of cabbage.  I could get into this plant swapping thing.  Much easier than buying and I know the plants will thrive in our climate. 

And, finally, Syd came for supper last night.  I don't usually cook on Sunday night.  It's a time for sandwiches or a bowl of cereal, or Rob will go get something quick and bring it back.  But, last night, I made waffles and eggs and hash browns and bacon and we tucked in for a good supper and had a nice visit.  She's so funny now that she doesn't live here anymore and I am enjoying being around her much more.  I'm glad that we ended up with a relationship where we can be friends.  I was not sure she and I would be able to do that after she moved out.  Anyway, I made plenty of waffles to freeze and eat for breakfast this week.  I am truly loving my waffle maker. 


Okay, that's it for me.  Today, my new boss flies in.  He's based out of Ohio and is just joining the team.  He's new to the job, so has lots to learn and I have lots to share.  We had a nice long chat last week about a project I turned in.  I met with him and my other manager to talk about the results of the project and after the call, he and I stayed on the line and did Q/A about what I contribute.  He seems eager and interested and I think we will get along fine.  The team is taking him to dinner Wednesday night so we can spend some time together outside of the office. 

Everybody have a great week!  I hope we all find something interesting to do and conquer a challenge and make a new friend.  And, I hope this guy finds something more interesting to do than harsh on everybody else's fun...this is clearly someone that has no joy if he's prejudiced against this long list of his fellow human beings.  I guess I always thought christians would be too busy worshipping god and doing good deeds to have time to try to make good people feel bad.  Oh, and if you're wondering, I fall into at least four of his groups, probably more.  I got bored before I got to the bottom of the long list.  Prejudice is not christian y'all.  Acceptance is, and clearly this dude didn't read that part of the new testament.  You don't get to shake your bible at me if you're not gonna live by the whole thing. 

 
Lane







8 comments:

Dot said...

Enjoyed your entire post, but Sydney coming to dinner and everyone having a fine time fills me with joy.

Debby said...

Goodness, that's some list. Wonder what happened to "judge not?"

Mari said...

Well, I am a rebellious woman, so I guess I'm toast, too! It will be quite the party down there, won't it? Have a good week Lane. I always enjoy your posts.

Anonymous said...

Good idea to put the plants at the curb. I didn’t know you could freeze waffles. I always just force myself to eat them rather than waste. I feel like a goof now. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Marei said...

I didn't get very far into the list before finding myself...maybe more than once, but I'm not telling. I laughed out loud when I got to "bitter people" because just posting a list like this shows what a truly bitter person this guy is.

jane said...

according to some of the churches I went to when I was a kid, everybody but them were going to hell. Then one day one of them was talking about beating up or murdering an old woman. Last straw for me.

Suzie said...

I’m a Christian and have been for at least 50 years. From that sign, I’m going straight to hell! I wonder if he’s going to be the only one in heaven. Love your blog, even though I don’t quilt. I so admire the your art!

JustGail said...

I can't think of anyone who doesn't fit several of those categories at a minimum, including myself. I can think of a great many who are hell bound just in the "two-faced church members", including this person.