2/24/20

Another busy weekend

Every weekend is busy.  I work myself until I can't think all week, then on the weekend, I work myself until I can't move.  It's how I make a life. 

Let's start with the big news.  It's not sewn together down the middle yet and it hasn't been ironed, but all the borders and corners are attached to the arc quilt.  I'll be the first to admit, there were times I did not think this was going to come together, but it did and I've made sure that all the little glitches will iron out.  Now, I just have to figure out how to quilt it.  I have ideas, but am not ready to say whether they are good ideas or not, so if you have ideas, please, please share them.  The one thing I'm sure is that there won't be any feathers.  (Secret confession, I wish the border was wider.  It recedes just a bit more than I wish it did.  Maybe if I'd used more darks and neutrals.) 
 
 
The HVAC install is complete.  A team came back and balanced our duct work so that each room is getting just the right amount of airflow for comfort.  You wouldn't think it, but that made a HUGE difference.  The last HVAC was never balanced correctly and we never got enough air in our bedroom...all that air was blowing directly on the sofa in the living room, so it was always cold or hot there.  This time, they solved all those problems.  That project being done, we were able to move things around in the garage to get them into their new permanent storage spaces.  One of the things I do to take advantage of that is change out the machine I'm sewing on.  I put the Singer 401 back in storage and brought out this Kenmore.  It's a very masculine machine with all those straight planes and hardly any curves to it.  I can see why it didn't catch on, but I love it.  Only forward and reverse, no fancy stitches, but I set it up last night and sewed a little bit and it makes a beautiful stitch and is very quiet...unlike when I bought it.
 
 
On Saturday, I cleaned in the greenhouse.  My greenhouse had taken on more of the appearance of a she-shed (that would be a "he-shed" in my case.)  A place I could go to read or do hand work.  Except it wasn't working out for that either because it had so many plants that I couldn't keep it tidy.  So, we gave the lawn furniture away last weekend and this weekend, we moved some shelving in and I scrubbed the walls and existing shelves and floor.  Now, I can actually see and get to the things I'm growing and also all that other stuff I need to store, like pots and trays and tools.  There will be a chair at some point.  I still like to sit out here and read or knit. 
 

And, I finished my most recent pair of socks.  It was a new yarn and I tried to find the repeat so the socks would match and decided it wasn't there.  Of course, when I was too far in to stop and start again, the repeat showed up.  I have another skein of this in a green and grey.  I'll know the repeat is there for that one.  For now, they're a pair, just not a matching pair and that's alright with me. 

 
 
On Saturday, Syd texted to say she was off Sunday and she knew I don't cook on Sunday evening, so she was bringing supper to cook.  My first reaction was to text her that I could cook but if she was going to, she needed to remember who we are and what we eat...but I was smart enough to delete that and just say "Cool!"  I don't need to be giving her feedback on something she hasn't even done yet.  She made us a delicious Thai chicken dish with a spicy sauce and vegetables and noodles.  It was delicious and HOT!  We picked at her about it being ghost pepper Thai food.  But, I could tell she was proud and enjoyed cooking for us.  And, I liked the change.  And, she and Rob cleaned up the kitchen
 
Everybody seemed to like the last yard sign I posted, so I thought I'd post another.  I'll admit that this one is suspicious because its so far over the top.  You know you can't trust everything you see on the internet, right?  Somehow, I don't think neighbors would really let this one stand, but who knows.  Maybe this is that crackpot neighbor that everyone is afraid of.  Heaven knows there's plenty of trump supporters that we are all afraid of.  There's some messed up people who choose not to believe the obvious truth.
 
 
Now this one, I know is real.  Early primary voting is started in Austin and my family has chosen our candidates and are ready to vote.  Please be sure to vote.  That's the only way we will stop the madness. 
 
 
That's enough politics.  Everybody have a great week!  Do fun things.  Smile a lot.  And, be well. 
 
Lane
 


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The arc quilt is amazing. I can picture you in the he-shed with a book. Your socks turned out well. What pattern did you use?
You have been busy.. thanks for sharing. Mary

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on getting the top of the arc quilt pieced, Lane! It is going to be quite the show stopper. SEW gorgeous!!

Elle said...

I hope you give yourself a pat on the back every time Syd does something so thoughtful. Your good parenting is paying off over and over!

Dot said...

In my eyes, your quilt remains - splendid. Not sure about a bigger border. Right now, it's a supporting element, enhancing the dominant center. It will be a pleasure watching it continue to come to life, especially since it already leaves me breathless.

Good for you for hitting delete and texting "Cool". You are such a terrific parent.

Really like the last yard sign.