6/22/20

Remember to backstitch

Backstitching is for security and it keeps things from coming undone around me.  One backstitch is good.  Two can be better.

It rained buckets Saturday morning, so there really wasn't any working outside.  As the day heated up, I could feel the air sticking to me and making me sweat.  We ran a couple errands, but the rest of the day was spent inside. 

I'm so boring that the most fun thing I did was make a thread catcher/pin cushion combo.  I'd been using a very small trashcan that I kept next to my right foot.  But, it meant I had to bend over and drop thread straight into it (or more likely, miss it altogether and stop the thread on the floor) , so I decided a thread catcher was the perfect solution.  The pin cushion is filled with ground walnut shells.  I bought a 10# bag (a large bag) to take a class with Sally Collins and I used a half cup of.  I've kept about half of them because I knew eventually I'd make more pincushions and I have made a couple where it has come in handy.  I found the pattern for this combo at the Confessions of a Homeschooler website.  It was easy and clear.  I did make one adjustment to not fold the top edge over.  It didn't seem to need it.  This matches a machine cover I made several years ago and never use because my machines are constantly in use. 


I also made a block for the star quilt that I'm not happy with and am checking whether I can replace a fabric.  the background is too busy and I'm thinking about replacing it with a different light.  Rob even suggested saving this for a baby quilt because it's so cute-sey, and making a different block for the star quilt.  I might do that, too.  A block this busy needs more color blocking and that cat print in the background just doesn't do it for me. 


This is Texas Star Hibuscus.  This is one we bought for Syd.  Even if she asks for the others, I'm pretty sure this one is mine.  It was near dead and I've spent a couple years bringing it back.  That flower is phenomenal and it takes full, hot sun. 


This is a Rose Mallow.  Those flowers are about 7" across and it's blooming up a storm.  This is another one that we kept in too much darkness and it's loving the hot sun.   


And, old reliable.  This hibiscus that Syd left is more of a tree with a ton of grafting.  One of the branches blooms red, but the rest make these very nice salmon colored blooms. 


I'm part of our big presentation to the executive team in July and needed a picture, so Rob helped me take this one.  Dang that right eye, it just won't stay open when I smile.  But, whatever.  It's still the best pic we took out of a series...believe me, we tried to catch them both open and took some pretty funny shots as I tried. 


This double rainbow showed up the night of the SCOTUS ruling protecting GLBTQ+ rights in the workplace.  I'm not saying it was a message of approval from a higher power.  But, I'm not not saying it either.


While Saturday was too wet to work, Sunday was not.  We cleared the deck early and Rob spent several hours cleaning it with a pressure washer.  It's so light and bright that it reflects light back into the house.  Late in the day when the deck is getting the most sun, it was blindingly bright.  The plan was to seal it this week, but now the forecast calls for rain all week, so who knows.  But, it's ready, whenever we are.


----------------------

Not much under the line this week.  I think the debacle of the Tulsa rally was all the politics I needed for the week.  I'm sure there will be some retaliation against the American people for the orange toad's hurt feelings.  That's the way small people work.  But, the admission that the administration held back testing to keep the numbers low is probably the most important political thing that came out of it.  I just keep hearing Daffy Duck say "Despicable!" in a Saturday morning cartoon from my childhood.  The fact that team spoiled baby got fooled by a bunch of high school kids into thinking people were coming to the rally was the funny part of the night. 

Everybody have a great week!  Sew lots.  And remember to backstitch.

Lane

6 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a fun thread catcher with that marble print, Lane! I'm with Rob on his idea of making a baby quilt out of the reject Feathered Star. Surely, you'll be able to build it up to size with a border or two (or three!)

Connie Turner said...

I agree the quilt looks like a baby quilt with those colors and prints. Your picture turned out just fine, you are a good looking man and your face is kind.

Dot said...

I'm with Rob on using that star block as a baby quilt. All that lovely, tiny piecing is right in scale for a baby. And it's ready to layer and quilt. I mean since you produce them as calmly as I make white sauce..... That's the envy in me speaking. Those are good baby quilt colors, also.

Really good portrait against your stunning blue and yellow star quilt.

That salmon colored hibiscus is particularly lovely.

Five months till November....

Anonymous said...

Wow....lots going on at your house. “Sew” fun reading your blog. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Carla said...

That Texas Star Hibiscus is gorgeous. I've never seen one before.

Testosterone said...

Equality...finally!!!