6/15/20

Very little happening

Not much happening here.  I've become so boring that a trip to the grocery is a big outing.  A trip to the garden center is like a happy hour with friends. 

We cleaned carpets over the weekend and I think we might have worn out the carpet cleaner.  I'm going to have to put my repairman's hat on, and see if I can figure that out.  I remember my Dad tinkering with small appliances.  I don't remember how successful he was, just that he tried.  And, that's what I do.  I give it a try.  It's already broken, so it's not like I'm going to make things worse.

I managed to assemble another feathered star.  I was into Barbara Brackman's BOMs when I was collecting fabrics.  These fabrics definitely have that feel.  I took a shortcut on this one and you know what that means, right?  It took me twice as long.  I didn't trim all those small hst blocks that make up the feathers, so in the final assembly, I had to loosen sections from their points and adjust them, then sew them back to the point, then sew the finishing seam.  But, I got it together and got almost every point, so I'm happy.  I'll be more careful on the last two. 


I also got the afghan together and started a border.  I've run out of black yarn and am trying to figure what to do.  I need a 4 inch border and am trying to talk myself into a color other than black.  Maybe alternating rounds of black and something else.  Maybe a light blue.  Or, that skein of light green I already have. 


This closet plant was Linda's.  She got it when she had a surgery, many years ago.  I inherited it and can't keep it inside because the cats eat it.  I've put it in a shady spot on the deck and it does great!  I have a smaller companion on the other side of the door that I hope will one day be as happy as this one. 


The last big show if Charlene's Patio daylilies.  It's just been one every day or two since. 


I had a small metal porch swing in the back yard.  Sydney loved to sit in it and look at the garden, especially when something was bothering her.  I'd stand at the kitchen sink and do dishes and she'd sit in the swing and ponder whatever teenage problem was big at the moment.  The swing was a rescue from someone else's big and bulky trash pickup.  It was rusty and I painted it and added some supports and had it for probably 10 years.  This year, when I sat in it, the arm gave way and we had to trash it.  I decided to replace it with something simpler.  A swing I could sit in and look out to the garden, or back toward the house, which is the next flower bed we will be doing.  I recycled the chains and most of the hardware and only needed those four huge eye-bolts and the couplers that pair them with the chains.  The lumber is leftover from the deck.  I got to sit in it a few minutes yesterday.  It was nice.  It also makes for a nice place to sit a glass of water while I'm working in the yard.  It is just wide enough for two people without being too smashed up against one another. 



---------------------------------

There's not much below the line today.  I'm appalled at the behavior of the trump admin.  In the midst of everything going on, now they're going after the trans community.  The gay community and the trans community are one.  I keep asking myself where this ends?  Caged immigrants, women's reproductive rights, justice for the black community, the trans community's loss of patient protections.  Who's next for the orange toad to attack to fire up the angry, uptight, clenched white men that fawn on him?  The rest of the gay community, then maybe take away women's right to vote and own property? 

We have to stop this.  And, no matter what they do to suppress voters between now and November, I'd crawl over broken glass through a snakepit to cast my vote against bigotry and hate. 

Have a good week.  Lane

p.s. - SCOTUS ruled that there can’t be employment discrimination against gays, including the trans community. Suck on that evangelicals.

4 comments:

Dot said...

Actually, I like your afghan just the way it is. You did an amazing job of color balancing. Personally, I feel it has plenty of green in it, already.

Lovely feather block. It reminds me of your brown minature quilt which I remember as another feather quilt. Brown is not my color, but that small quilt looked perfect to me. It remains my favorite of all your lovely quilts.

Your life does not seem boring to me. I'd call it well lived.

Life, right now, it like wearing an only pair of poorly fitting shoes. They are the last pair in the closet so I deal - and look forward to getting a pair that fits well. I ache to give my children a big, firm hug.

And I look forward to voting in November with a crazy quilt of emotions - dread, hope, and teeth-grinding patience.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your Feathered Star block and those daylilies are gorgeous, Lane!!

Anonymous said...

Lane, thanks for your weekly blog posts. I enjoy your honesty, your projects, your family, and your garden. And yes, I will be voting in November.

Leslie said...

Thank you so much for writing your blog. I look forward to reading it every week - a voice of reason and creativity in this crazy world. That's a peace lilly on your porch - hard to kill those - I know! Just give some water when they look droopy and they are good. Many thanks again for your blog - keep on writing! :)