8/3/20

August already

Blogger has a new look and feel today.  I wonder if it's permanent.  I kind of like it, once I was able to get in.  

I got the last border on the drunkard's path Christmas quilt.  I'm really liking this little quilt.  I think I am going to layer and baste it soon as I can and start quilting it.  If feels like a happy quilt and I think it will make a great addition to our holiday collection.  


I also hand pieced the back.  The outer border on the back is the same fabric as the corners above.  The center of the back is a larger scale of the images in that border.  The gold was because I didn't have enough of either of those for a back.  




Not liking this new look and feel of Google much anymore...just sayin.

Some flower pics...

I saw this on a walk the other day.  Another magenta flower that caught my eye, even tho I'm not much on the color magenta.  We have a neighbor who plants a nice strip between sidewalk and curb (we call that a hell strip, partly because you don't own it but you have to maintain it, and partly because it's hell to keep it watered and growing.  Anyway, this neighbor does a great job of drought tolerant plants that are eye-catching and it changes through the year as plants develop, bloom, recede, and something else develops.  


More garden phlox.  This is a great bloomer all season.  I had a shepherd's hook with a large basket on it come down in the garden last week because of all the sudden rain and did some damage to them, but they look like they're going to recover nicely.


And, more star hibiscus.  These just keep giving.  /they take a good bit of water because they've outgrown their pot this year, but they're putting on a great show and are living in the hottest part of the garden.  


Yesterday, I spent a good bit of the day in the kitchen.  I made keema and am marinating satay for dinner and I made homemade naan (definitely an Asian theme to dinner tonight).  I'd never made naan before.  It's much easier than I thought it would be, it looks wonderful and it's some of the best Naan I've ever had.   I suspect I will be doing this again.  I'll be working on my traditional tear drop shape, tho.  


 Rob and I are both taking some time off.  We're going to have the siding, windows, doors and gutters replaced on the house.  That will start in about four weeks, after the windows are made.  But, before we do that, we're going to have some other things done, like having leaking hose bibs replaced outside and maybe the control to the shower.  If we're going to have the siding off, may as well do all the things that you have to remove the siding to do while we're at it.  It's a big job.  We've been watching the process on several other houses in the neighborhood that are having the same thing done.  I guess since we can't get outside, we're all trying to stimulate the economy the best way we can.  

Everybody have a great week!  Listen to Dr Fauci.  He's the expert.  Everyone else has a suspect opinion, so ask questions (never thought we'd have to ask whether they believe in demon sex).  I feel empathy for everyone out there having to decide whether to send kids back to school.  I am so glad we are not making that decision.  These things should not be that hard and would not be that hard if we had good leadership.  

Lane

3 comments:

Megan said...

Can you share the naan recipe please?

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Dot said...

You had already mentioned thinking about quilting the Christmas quilt next. I wondered why you were leaning that way. The feathered star quilt is also lovely and more intricate.

But,"it feels like a happy quilt" made a point. We could all use more happy anything in our lives right now.

jane said...

Seems like all the houses in our neighborhood are doing upkeep and improvement too. One of our neighbors does this work and we seem to be keeping him busy. Also support your small restaurants if you can. So they will not go away any time soon.