8/31/20

Another weekend spent quilting circles

 Hurricane Laura kept me busy last week.  I was constantly checking the weather.  I was logging in to work at 5:15 for about an hour, then I'd get ready for work, work my regular shift, make and eat dinner, then work more from about 7-8.  By Friday, I was exhausted.  I had the perfect, brainless, run and enter numbers project ever, and I turned on some music and just lost myself in it for the afternoon and I got a lot done and by time Rob got home, I was chill and ready for the weekend.  

While we were on the dry side of the storm, Laura brought in a lot of hot, humid air and left it all over TX.  We went out for one thing on Saturday morning and then went shoe shopping to kill some time before lunch. I  found such great shoes...for the office that I never go to anymore, but I got a new pair of walking shoes.  I'm still doing that.  But, it was so hot, we took lunch home and I'm not sure I went outside after that.  I made Naan again.  Last time, it cooked perfect, but it was kind of bland.  This time, it tasted fantastic, but it wouldn't rise and by the time it cooked, it was hard and tough.  I don't think it had enough yeast in the recipe.  (Megan, the only new ingredient was the yogurt.  I think it gave a good flavor that had been missing.)

I would estimate that I spent between nine and ten hours quilting.  Circles.  Tiny Circles.  What kind of man makes tiny circles?  Fat circles, skinny circles, circles up on rocks....okay, enough of that.  You get the idea about what can happen if you do the same thing several thousand times in a weekend.  

Now that the whole arc section is outlined, I can start filing those empty corners.  Except I don't quite know what I'm going to fill them with.  I have this vision of a 6" circle, filled with smaller circles that don't overlap.  I'm thinking about drawing the large circle with a compass and tracing around spools of thread to create the inner circles.  I'm thinking of having those float around outside the arc area and quilting them in a multi-colored thread (okay, the thread I'm more iffy about).  But, then something will have to fill in around them, and I haven't figured that out and know better than to start without a fully developed plan. 

Rob built me a table top desk for my studio.  He finished just before we went into 'stay at home'.  All I needed to do was finish it.  But by then, I needed it too bad to do without it long enough to finish it.  So, I worked on it for a few months, being very careful to never get anything like coffee on it that would become permanent.  When we did our staycation, I decided to take the desk apart and finish it.  It started out great, but then I misread a can and made a real mess of it.  By time I finished undoing that, it looked terrible.  But, I stuck with it and it ended up great again!  

There's a keyboard tray with a riser for the keyboard to sit on, a drawer that has a section sized to a sheet of paper so I can keep scratch paper and notebooks in it, and a section I'm using for regular office supplies and another for electronics and connecting cables and plugs.  

Even though it's hotter than a chicken fryer outside, the flowers are still blooming, but it's gonna cost me on the next water bill.  

I don't know the official name for these, but they're much like rain lilies.  We had a rain a couple weeks ago and they came up and bloomed.  They won't bloom for hose water, only for rain.  Now, they have faded, and I'm waiting to discover whether they continue to grow and develop on their own, or whether they need another rain.  


This is skyflower.  It's bloom season is spring and autumn.  The plant has gotten huge, so I'm looking forward to a "really big shew" in a month or so.  


And, the bougainvillea is started.  This is a hot pink bloom and even though it's as far from the kitchen as my garden grows, I can still see it out there while I do dishes, flashing like a light in the breeze.  

And, my shadow.  She loves to lie in the sun.  She'll come when I call...most of the time, but last week, she was determined.  I called and called, but she would not come up, so I walked out there.  She tried to duck her head down so I couldn't see her over the grass and as I walked out, she rolled partially on her side to be even more hidden.  Even though I'm talking to her, she won't look me in the eye.  But, that tail just banging on the ground as fast as it can as I got closer and closer.  I confess to picking her up and not making her come.  I know.  Bad dad.  So what.

-------------

I can't.  I just can't.  Even I've given up on watching the news.  I've taken to gaming on my phone as a distraction.  Playing games while my country melts around me.  

Lane

   


  

2 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

That quilt is going to be spectacular, Lane! What a sweetheart Rob is for building that tabletop desk. I've been dreaming of something like that for my cutting mat on the end of my sewing table. The table is just too low for that task!

jane said...

of course you are playing games. I watch too much television and I want to mend everything I wear or my daughter wears. I even hope my husband will need me to sew a patch on his gardening pants. Anything to forget what is happening in our country. I even dream of moving to Canada. Stupid me, huh??