9/7/20

With 3, I make 2

We are having a good 3-day weekend.  We got a lot of rain last week, so too wet to do anything in the garden, and besides, the mosquitoes are too bad to be out there for any length of time.  I've done some cooking and yesterday we ate spectacularly well.  But, most of my time has been spent making shirts.   

Rob had picked a fabric a few weeks ago and I had picked one last week, so it was time to "get my sew on" and turn that into clothes.  

Rob's on the right, Lane's on the left (you'd be surprised how often I use that to keep up with whose is who's.)  Rob's is further along.  He likes his Hawaiian shirts with a placket and a collar stand and a yoke.   I've learned to start his first, while I'm fresh.  Mine is a plain camp shirt with all the little things that make that easy, plus a few tricks of my own.  If I get everything done today except the buttons and button holes, that will be a win.  I can still have them ready by Friday.  Rob and his boss both wear Hawaiian shirts on Friday.  They don't even see how camp they are together.  

I enjoyed some retail therapy last week.  Apparently, that's what Aquarians do in times of stress.  There are 10 yards of room darkening drapery lining on the way. With the new doors, we're going to need heavier curtains.  We love what we have now, which is a khaki colored twill.  They've held up great, but they don't block much light.  I darkened the room with Roman shades, but we won't be putting those on the new doors, so we're going to need a heavier drape.  And, since I was going to be getting free shipping, we took advantage and bought...wait for it...more shirt fabric.  But I forgot that I'm nearly out of interfacing to make shirts with, so there you go mr smartypants with your free shipping.  

I also bought this cute as heck teapot, because it's so cute.  It's a cube.  Even though I don't drink tea very often and if I do, I'll likely make it in the cup instead of messing up a teapot.  But, retail therapy isn't really based on need or usefulness, is it.  It's cute.  And, now it's mine.

My prayer plant is certainly very happy.  I must be doing something right.  


This is my first Dahlia.  My Grandmother grew Dahlias.  I can remember her receiving them as gifts at Mother's Day or her birthday.  She grew them in the side yard with her roses.  I've tried to grow them at both houses I've owned and never had any success.  But, this year, I finally have my first one blooming.  There are several blossoms on it, so maybe I'll get more flowers.  But, this is one plant out of several that I put in.  All the rest died and at that success rate, I don't know that I'll try again if this one doesn't make it over winter.


------------------
I've given up the news and taken up Yoga, Meditation, and gaming, especially building simulation games.  If inciting the American people to war against one another is not treason, then what is treason?  If speaking against those who sacrifice for their country isn't betrayal, then what is betrayal?  

Just how far are the orange riffraff willing to go to defend their pretended right to be racist hate mongers?  And how far am I willing to go to deny them the power to act on it?  More good people are going to sacrifice to protect the rest of us from the worst of us.  If I'm called, I hope I'm willing.  

Everybody have a great Labor Day.  If you enjoy a 40 hour work week, thank a union!

Lane



6 comments:

Shirl S said...

I love your teapot. I been collecting small 1-2 cup teapots in art deco/modern shapes. I have a rectangular one, never saw a square one. Great find!

Dot said...

You know those shirts look so easily and well assembled, a really good example of great sewing skill. I think that's why the world takes good sewing skills for granted. If you can't see the signs of stress - wrinkles, puckers, or mismatches - the world assumes it must be easy.

Great job of matching prints on the shirts, by the way.

Are you far enough south that you don't have to dig up the dahlia roots, bulbs, or tuber (whatever) for the winter. My grandmother grew lovely dahlias and a fall job was always digging them up and storing them till spring.

Because of her, I have a soft spot for dahlias. Yours is lovely.

Anonymous said...

The shirts are perfect. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Anonymous said...

Inspiring post and nice to see someone sewing clothes again! Will be looking forward to seeing your curtains progress as that’s a big job to tackle. But you will get what you want in the end.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Both shirts are looking lovely, Lane, and that dahlia is spectacular!! Congrats on your first bloom.

jane said...

I'm crazy about your prayer plant. I have one I was worried about and took cuttings and rooted them. In the pot now, and looking good but I need more practice at that and need to learn to prune my prayer plant. I want it to look as good as yours!