2/1/21

And a flower for the soul

When I was in college, I went to one of my Aunt's houses almost every day for lunch.  One wasn't at home, so I could have lunch in her kitchen and then a nap on the sofa and back to the next class.  The other worked at the university and I'd meet her at her office and we'd walk to her house and if I didn't have a lunch, she'd feed me.  She taught me a blessing; a loaf of bread, a bottle of wine, and a flower for the soul.  

Not going to try to say I'm not working on the Ruby McKin Flower Garden quilt anymore.  I finished the second block and started the third.  This fits a niche of time I have to play but is too short to bring my other current projects to a new stopping point.  Pretty darn happy with how these are coming out, and with only 16 or so pieces, they go pretty fast.  


The third block is tulips.  The photo block is red, but I'm going to use a nice pink.  I think they're really going to show up nicely and there's not much pink in the photo quilt, so this is a good chance to include some.  

Mari asked about thread.  Becky recommended 60 weight, 2 ply.  I had some and kept it out to use it, but I also bought a couple of Superior threads Super Bobs, which will give me a lot more flexibility in trying to match colors.  I know they're expensive, but it works out to just over $1 per bobbin, and having thread flexibility is worth it.  In the daisy block, I tried using a heavier white thread on the daisies and was feeling very disappointed about seeing every stitch.  I went to a 60 weight without changing anything else and the stitches disappeared.  The gold plastic thing in the upper left is a Bohin needle threader.  It was $20 and I almost didn't buy it because of that, but it is the best hand sewing tool since the needle and I will always make sure I have one.  High quality, durable.  I've only tried once that it didn't thread the tiny eye of my appliqué needle on the first try.  Love it!  Love it much!


And, one last flower.  This Jacobenia bloomed in the greenhouse and I had to take a picture and show it off.  Lovely!!


Sweater progress.  I'm at 15.5".  At 17.5, I stop and make the sleeves, then join the sleeves to the body and make the shoulders all as one seamless piece.  Still can't quite believe this work is coming off a pair of needles in my hands.  I think I have way more yarn than I'll need.  The pattern called for 2200 yards, and that's how much I bought.  But, I'm only about a third into it and expect I'm going to have a couple small skeins leftover.  Oh, well.  Somebody will get a beautiful red wool scarf if I do.  


I got two new cookbooks for Christmas.  They're both "cooking for two" books.  I have made two servings of some really tasty dishes since then.  This weekend, I was on a baking binge.  I made lemon tarts.  There were only supposed to be two, but the tart pans I bought are an inch smaller than advertised and I ended up with three.  First time making lemon tarts and the filling was so strong lemon-ey that they tasted a little metallic and the crust was hard, not flaky and light, but they were certainly good enough to make again and try to perfect the recipe.  


I also made a very small scratch peach pie.  I'm dieting to lose some Christmas cookie weight, but dieting can't be about deprivation for me.  It has to be about portion control, so I can have little treats, like a half a tart or a small slice from a 6" pie.  Baking small means I don't have that huge leftover chunk that I feel like I have to eat to keep it from going to waste.  BTW, this crust and filling were perfect!  Crust was flaky and light and the peach filling is delicate and sweet!  


Best book I've read in a LOOOOONG time.  I highly recommend it.  Everyone at book club loved it, but it spoke to me most of all.  In a couple weeks, I'll be the same age as Ove.  


Everybody have a great week.  I'm enjoying every day of government doing things to help me and my fellow Americans.  Woo-hoo!  We're important again!

Lane


4 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super sweet Daffodils, Lane!! Are you ready for Spring?

Becky said...

I am just getting ready to read "Ove". I read another book by the same author, "My Grandma Said to Tell You I'm Sorry". Wild and crazy book, but it was rather good. The sweater is stunning!!!Have a great week.
Love ya!
Becky

Anonymous said...

I loved that book! I visioned in my head the whole time I read it that it would make the best movie!
Your flower blocks are gorgeous and thanks for the thread information. I like learning what helps out other quilters too.
I totally agree that it is nice having a decent administration back in. The evening news is even easier now to watch without your jaw dropping to the floor. Even refreshing to see such lovely young intelligent ladies doing the press briefings.

Dot said...

Your cables are gorgeous.

Thank you for discussing your applique thread and tools. My eyesight is declining and I ordered a needlethreader like yours - something that would have never occurred to me.

It is wonderful to have a grownup in the White House.