2/15/21

I'm dreaming of a white...

 Birthday.  Like it has never been before.  I don't believe it's ever snowed on my birthday before.  And, we woke to no water, but I'm pretty sure that's the city and not our pipes...our pipes shouldn't have frozen. The house was plenty warm, even under the cabinets.  And, the faucet in the middle of the house isn't running either.  There's no way it could have frozen.  Rob's been scooping up snow to melt to keep the toilets running.  Fortunately, we have plenty of bottled water.  


We're going to have to clear a place for the dogs to go.  Bella was belly deep and made sure I knew she was not going to squat in whatever that was on the ground.  

Yesterday, it was just an ice storm.  Everything had a think layer of ice on it, but you could still see the ground.  

But, by last night, the street was covered in black ice and a fine layer of small ice pellets.  It got so bad that the main grocery stores all had to close to get people off the street.  Because in any crisis, all of Austin goes to the grocery store.  Except us.  We're fine.  


 I finished binding the leaf quilt.  It's ready to go in the laundry.  I kept thinking I should do that yesterday, but I didn't.  It probably won't get done today.  Oh, well.  Once that was done, I made progress on the flower blocks.  Here are the four that I've made.  There's another that's almost finished, but I ran out of weekend before it got done.

I talked to my Mom last week and she commented that the tulips were pretty, but the iris was iffy...I agreed, partly because it wasn't finished, but even when it was finished, it was iffy.  I looked at the quilt photo to see if it looked as plain and they'd used two colors of petal, So, I took half the petals off and replaced them.  This is what it looked like before.  I think the photo quilt on the pattern is pretty plain, but all inspiration is good inspiration, right?


We spent the weekend holed up in the house, eating warm food.  I made potato soup, chicken soup, and chili.  Rob and Syd had planned a nice birthday dinner for me tonight.  Rob asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said I wanted him to cook dinner.  He asked what Syd could give me and I said I want her to come it that dinner.  But, it doesn't look like we'll be doing that.  It's not supposed to get above freezing today.  Rob gave me this really cool pair of Bernie socks.  These are going to be very warm today.  


Everybody have a great Monday and enjoy my birthday...do some sewing or some quilting or some knitting...I guess gardening is out of the question for everyone today.  But, whatever you do, enjoy it!  

I'm going to be working...because people schedule meetings on birthdays...co-workers are so discourteous. 😂

Just kidding.  I'm sure they'll all take the opportunity to bring it up and make sure half the company knows.  

Lane


7 comments:

Dot said...

Happy Birthday! It feels funny to be sending such warm thought to someone I'll never meet. But you blog feels like hearing from a long loved friend.

Enjoy your special day, even with meetings and no running water. When whatever is frozen thaws, that water gushing out of the faucet will feel like another gift.

Your water problem has reminded me to let a faucet drip during the night to help prevent us having the same problem..

You and your mother did improve that iris block. It is such a pleasure when you share each of your quilts and other projects as they evolve.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lane. You won't forget this one with the no water and the snow. Don't work too hard.

Mari said...

Happy birthday, Lane! It's already memorable, isn't it? I hope you have had a lovely, warm day inside and that your water is back on. The flower blocks look terrific, and the Bernie socks. . .I'm jealous! :)

Megan said...

Happy birthday Lane.

As for everyone hitting the grocery stores when there's a crisis, you two are missing out on the game. The rest of us all know that a crisis may bring on a severe case of diarrhoea and this makes it critically important to buy lots and lots of toilet paper. Go on - give it a go: you might have some fun, pushing and shoving in the toilet paper aisle at Walmart!

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. Hope you have a great day. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Suzanne said...

Happy birthday! I hope you’re faring well this week!

LinB said...

Happy birthday!

This one will live on in memory for years to come ... not like most other celebrations of your special day, I feel certain.