4/26/21

So busy for so little to talk about

 Last week was a very busy week.  Our big project elevated.  I spent Friday testing and calming frazzled nerves.  Wednesday was my second Covid vax and I was not feeling up to par on Thursday, but that got better in the afternoon.  I spent a lot of time walking around the garden, checking out the new flowers, but they're mostly just more of the same flowers you've seen already.  All in all, not much to talk about this week.  

I finished the sleeves of the sweater and was about to attach them with the body, but when I studied it, I realized it would be much easier if the body and the sleeves were on the same row count, and I only needed to add a few rows to the body to make that happen, but there were errors in the body that I had decided not to fix that were going to throw the repeat off, and I'd remade parts of the sleeves several times to ensure they'd match one another, so why not take out 20 rows of the body and fix the mistake.  Then, when I got it all back on the needles, I found another mistake and took out another 10 rows.  Then, I put 15 rows back and and found a new mistake and took out six rows.  Then, I became obsessed and started just trying to finish without another error.  Right now, I'm back to row 92, which is where I was when I picked it up and started taking rows out.  Five days of knitting, just to be back where I started.  But, this time, there are no major mistakes.  


When I started this project on January 1, I did not anticipate it would take this long.  I thought I'd be able to wear the sweater this year, but it's already getting too warm for a wool sweater.  

All that yard work is really paying off.  Everything is coming up and what's not in bloom is getting ready for summer.  

More of the iris I didn't know I had.  Almost every bloom is unique and slightly different than the others, some more purple, some more gold, but slightly different than the other flowers, even flowers on the same bloom stalk.

When Syd lived with us, she collected Hibiscus.  This is the only one that survived the winter storm.  Even the ones in the portable greenhouse did not stay warm enough to survive.  This one got dragged into the garage at the last minute, so it made it, and now it's put on its first flower.  

This acuba lost all it's leaves except a few at the bottom that were below the snow line.  We talked about cutting it back, but by the time the old leaves turned brown and started to fall off, it was already putting out new leaves and this is what it has turned into.  

This is the Cinco de Mayo rose.  It also died back to the snow line, but it's putting out lots of new blooms now and is going to be fine.  It's the only rose I have that died back like it did.   


On Thursday, when I was feeling the effects of the second dose, I was so glad I didn't actually have Covid.  I just kept telling myself that it would be over soon and I could wait it out.  I stayed huddled up in an old sweater and sweatpants all day and fortunately, people at work left me pretty much alone.  When Rob got home, he asked if I wanted him to go get takeout for dinner, but by then, I was feeling nearly back to my old self and wanted my own cooking.  

----------------

I know that the world was turning last week and that things were happening, but I was too busy and too stressed to care much.  It was really nice to take a week off from worrying whether some idiot was going to blow up the world to soothe his damaged ego.  Having adults in charge is very relaxing, even if they're having to deal with spoiled babies that lied their way into office.  Even lyin' ted was too busy defending himself for looking like an ass to make much more of an ass of himself.   The debate over D.C. statehood was comical and as far as I can tell, repubs are too busy coming up with stupid excuses for their bad behavior to actually get much done in the way of crippling America so they can pretend to be doing something to fix it.  Let's keep them busy defending themselves for their personal behavior and they won't be able to hurt any of the rest of us.  

Everybody have a great week!  I'll be continuing to work through last week's project and getting ready for the next one.  Life marches on, and on, and on.

Lane

3 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Always happy to see photos from your lovely garden, Lane! Glad your side effects from the 2nd Covid shot have subsided.

Anonymous said...

Your flowers are doing well!! Glad your vaccine is now compete and you have a sense of comfort level knowing you should not become severely ill being out with those who chose not to. I will never understand how someone who smokes and puts a dangerous cancerous causing agent like tobacco into into blood stream hours every day but is afraid of a vaccine, can live with themselves. I am just glad I don’t have to be around a person like that. As always you make so much sense of what is reality in Washington! Kathy

jane said...

I agree with so much you have to say. Except for the smoking part. Tobacco is only one chemical they deal with. It is the nicotine(which is a poison) and ammonia (sprayed on the tobacco to keep it burning) that I don't understand. And the fact that a smoker can get their children addicted to smoking through second hand smoke. There is so much to get through their heads.

I had a tiny effect after my second shot! hallelujah!