5/23/22

All work and no play

This was the weekend Rob chose to stain and seal the fences.  At the end of the week, we had just about given up the idea because the chance of rain was 80% or higher every day.  We got up Saturday and decided it wasn't going to work out and within a couple hours, the clouds broke up and it was a beautiful day, except temps in the high 90's.  We were able to do a little less than half the fences that day before it got too hot to be outside.  It rained a little bit that night, but not enough to make a difference, so we knocked the rest of it out yesterday.  Fortunately, that little bit of rain brought the high temp down to the mid-80's and we were able to work well past lunch.  The fences look great!


This is the before picture of that same fence.  Big difference.

Needless to say, I wasn't able to do much quilting after that, but I got the backing ironed for the triangle quilt and realized I didn't have a batting, so I ordered that and it came yesterday.  I should be ready to get it pin basted next weekend.  fI spent the rest of the weekend sitting still and working on that afghan I'm not enjoying very much and am trying to finish so I can get it out from under foot.  

Some garden pics from the week.  

This daylily is one of my Mom's seedlings called Peaches.  She named it after her dog.


When talking about new plants, Rob says; the first year they sleep, the second year, they creep, the third year, the leap.  And, this is this Shasta daisy's third year and it's giving a great show!
 

This is a large clump of orange dallies.  They die to the ground in winter and I forget they're there and am always trying to plant something in their spot.  But, they're very hardy and will choke out anything I accidentally plant too close.  


The heads on the phlox are the biggest I've ever seen.  Maybe I haven't been growing them in enough sun because now that we're getting more sun, they seem to be enjoying it and building up to quite the show.    


This is a red echinacea.  I have a a yellow one, too that has almost died and I'm trying to bring back.  We'll see.  It was one of the plants choked out by the orange daylily above.

Tomorrow, I have a meeting with a team I've worked with for 2 1/2 years and have never met f2f.  This is a team I do a lot for, and for the most part they love me because I can make things happen that no one else can, mostly because I've been with the company 38 years and know people from all over that happily do me little favors.  It will be fun to meet them.  And, a good chance to get out of my comfort zone and back into a conference room, shaking hands and solidifying relationships.  

---------

Every woman has the right to decide whether to be a mother.  I know the decision is hard and I don't know anyone that's taken it lightly.  No matter the reason, it's still a right and a decision no person can make for another.  Hate, bigotry, racism, and false religion cannot be part of that decision.  And, I would ask those that oppose abortion exactly how many hard to adopt children are part of their families.  And, if they say none, then I have no interest in their opinions or thoughts or concerns about anybody making the decision whether to be a mother.  If you don't care enough to back your ideas up, then you don't care enough to change my mind.  

We all know that eventually, good triumphs and hate turns in on itself and consumes it's followers.  It has and always will be true.  You just have to study a little history to know it.  

Everybody have a great week!  Keep your chin up.  The struggle is real and getting real-er every day.  And all we can do is struggle in our own way, contributing to the common good as much as and where we can.  

Lane

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that whatever decision a woman makes is her own. Unless these anti people want to step up and offer a lot of support, then it's none of their business. I did read about one elected official mentioned that when males reach puberty, they should be mandated to get a reversible vasectomy until they reach the age of maturity to take responsibility of their actions.
The fence looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Dot said...

I don't know anyone who thinks that abortion is wonderful, but sometimes it is appropriate. My definition of "sometimes" is what the mother decides.

The color of paint you chose for your fence really showcasses your border, much more than I expected. It is so helpful that your showed before and after pictures.

It is always eye opening when you share a taste of your interactions at work, as in, "so THAT'S what I could have done".

Anonymous said...

You are such a wise theological person, full of common sense. I always wonder what your line of work is as you strike me as a person in the workplace who relates to getting it done, with drive and ambition to satisfy even the ones who gripe and complain it won’t work. I agree with so much of your ethics. I would have loved to have had someone as conscientious on my work team as you are,

Until you have walked in someone’s shoes , you don’t know how outcomes and choices will be made. A wise doctor who is a friend and abortion provider has offered me that wisdom years ago. Between this unsettling debacle, banning historical books, don’t say gay, war in countries that were just fine till aggression and greed took over, it makes me sad what others looking down from Heaven fought so hard to provide for us and its being disregarded. Kathy

Suzanne said...

The fence looks amazing, and so do all your flowers. Great work by Rob and you!

Thank you for saying something about abortion. I worked in foster care, as a caseworker. I later became a foster parent and then adopted one of those hard-to-adopt kids who wasn’t able to stay with his birth family, even after a good try at reunification. You know, I didn’t understand the topic of abortion until I became a parent. I’m now fully in support of the right to choose, whereas before I was pretty wary of the idea of choosing (I always wanted it legal, but I can’t say that I *understood* the implications of the power of having that choice). Even years of working in foster care weren’t what changed me into an actual abortion advocate. It was the daily grind of the terribly hard work of parenting of a kid with trauma. And I know that you know what I mean. But anyway, through that, I finally realized that no pregnant person should be forced to give birth. Thank you for saying something on this topic.

Thank you also for the reminder that hate and fear will lose, eventually!!!

Anonymous said...

The fence looks great. What a big difference. I’m loving the flowers. The colors are amazing. Thanks for sharing. Mary