There was no quilting last week. There was the hope that quilting would be done, but no actual quilting. I had Friday off and spent most of the three days in the yard, putting down mulch. There were also a lot of chores and some sewing...well, not actually sewing, but preparing to sew.
Rob found this shirt in Goodwill a couple weeks ago. He really liked it, but it was a 2XL, so fit him like draping a sheet over his shoulders. He liked it so much, I offered to take the side and arm seams out and recut the front and back to his pattern and put it back together again. I took it apart this weekend and got it all starched and ironed and ready to go. I made myself a shirt several years ago when I was new to shirtmaking that I like a lot, but was way too big and I did the same thing with it. Finding fabric to make shirts is often the hardest part. When I find a shirt that has nice fabric, I'll sometimes take it apart and re-use it. It's generally cheaper than new fabric too, and if I'm lucky, I can keep the collar, button placket and pocket, which are the hard, fiddly parts of making a shirt.
I also said I'd make Sydney a shirt. She picked this origami crane fabric. It's going to make a great shirt. It's been laundered and yesterday it was ironed, so it's ready to go as well.
I'm putting mulch down now to save water later. It's only June and I can barely keep the garden watered. In the past, I've had a thick ground cover that shaded the soil and kept the water from evaporating. After we dug everything up last year and trampled around in the garden, there's not nearly as much ground cover this year, and last week, I realized I needed to do this and I needed to do it quick. Plus, I always love how the mulch makes the flowerbeds look better. And, the really thorough weeding didn't hurt.