11/14/22

Quilting mojo

It's been a while since I did any machine quilting, but that's the next step to move most of my UFOs to FOs.  I've been having a little bit of quilter's block.  From the beginning of my quilting journey, I wanted to learn to quilt feathers.  And, I did.  And, I have done so many feathers that now I want to move in other directions, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to fit other shapes into my spaces.  Saturday, I pulled out a small top and put together the sandwich and did the ditch work.  Then, I started to look at pictures of other people's quilts.  How are they filling space?  I saw some beautiful examples and then I got started.  


My process has been to pick one block at a time and figure out how I'd like to fill it.  Each design has to compliment the others.  I picked spools of thread that I had plenty of and there's been plenty of it picked out as I tried things and didn't like them.  And, even tho those long blue shapes just scream for a feather, I'm going to try not to put feathers there.  No promises.  

I took the Barbara Brackman block apart early one morning and ironed it all and marked my match points again and Saturday morning, I put it back together...the right way.  I think it came out well and will be a nice addition to the other 9 blocks from this series.  Two more to go.  


I had to go to a meeting at the office the other day.  My team sits in a dark corner at the back of the building where it's quiet and there's no traffic.  Perfect for me.  Someone complained about it being a dungeon and they've offered us new desks.  

The desks are 2/3 the size of our old desks.  And, they're in a high traffic area just inside the main entrance of the building.  But, it has a window!  I expressed a reluctance to move, but deferred to the person most likely to come to the office.  My thought is for the few days I plan to come to the office, I don't care where I sit.  If it's too loud there, there are plenty of places I can go sit that will be quieter.  Including my old desk.  😁

We've had a cold snap.  It was beautiful outside, but too cold to work in the yard.  I enjoyed the time inside, quilting and sewing and working on a small crochet project that I'm just learning to do and will share later.  Beautiful views through the windows, tho.


-------------

Finally, the mid-term elections are nearly over.  Civil war did not break out.  And, other than a little whining and sniveling, I haven't seen too much controversy.  The people have spoken and the clear message is that we have to get along.  No red waves, no blue waves.  Half the people that bother to vote feel one way and half feel the other.  And, we are going to have to find a middle ground.  

If the politically motivated violence can be stopped, that is.  And, if the prosecution of illegal actions continues.  Without those, there is no moving past the dilemma we're currently in.  

That's what I think anyway.  

Everybody have a great week! I hope you're enjoying your autumn weather as much as I am.  We just realized in the grocery store yesterday that it's only a week and a half til Thanksgiving.  Oh, my!

Lane

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Your Barbara Brackman block looks terrific!

Kathy said...

I was struck by your casual words "put together the sandwich and did the ditch work." Why automatic ditch work? Why ditch work? Try a mental jump start by ignoring those lines and quilting something that overlays the blocks rather than fills them up. Even quilt freely from the back and see how you like the results on the front. Go for big, wonky feathers or free form flowers and spirals and off-center short and long lines. Don't even think about perfect stitching and just play! DRAW fun shapes with your needle. Maybe not your true style, but it's fun for a play day!

Anonymous said...

Oh the backyard looks lovely….bundle up in quilts and enjoy a sunset….how romantic? Thanks for sharing. Mary