10/23/23

Rebuilding a nest

I'm very proud to say that Sydney has left the building.  Their apartment application was accepted and they moved in on Saturday.  It's a very cute apartment, brand new and very modern with big rooms and a nice view out over the trees (and some trashcans...oh, well).  They stopped by here with the u-haul to pick up her stuff and dropped off a chair that I steamed and we delivered yesterday.  She seemed very proud and very dirty, and that all feels very right.  We didn't stay long and that felt very right as well.  

I managed to get the corners on all the blocks for the baby quilt.  Rob held the corner of the design wall (tablecloth stretched over a book case) so I could get a picture of the whole thing.  This was the first time I saw the whole thing and I'm pretty sure that dark blue block is going to end up in the quilt center.  It draws too much attention.  But, that's just fine tuning.  The blocks are assembled and soon this will be a quilt top. I don't have a back picked out yet, but it's going to have to be pretty colorful to coordinate with the top.   


This is a picture of us with our friends that were in town last weekend.  They left on Monday.  We had such a nice visit.  I was sorry that I couldn't take more of Monday off to spend with them.  It was very relaxed and comfortable and it's a shame we live so far apart.  


Last week's life less on was on judgment and it could not have come at a more appropriate time.  I've been judging Syd's boyfriend because I don't approve of his life choices.  He doesn't have a full time job because he's a full time student and I think he could be both.  As I really grappled with my own feelings of being judged, I also had to grapple with the fact that he is Syd's choice and from what I can tell, he's not treating her any differently than my first long term boyfriend treated me.  And, at some point, I got tired of it and let him go.  And, I feel pretty sure that if this is not the one that's meant to be, Syd will do the same. As much as her negativity annoyed me, she showed an inner strength while she was here.  It almost felt like she needed a good shove in the right direction so she could bloom and she got that here.  

I dusted her room and cleaned the carpet and am making it my room again.  Rob and I have shared a small master bath for 23 years and I decided I wanted to move me into the guest bath where there's so much more room.  I moved in and showered in there yesterday afternoon and immediately went to Amazon for a new shower curtain/rod/hooks, some washcloths, and new bathmats.  I felt a little sorry for Syd having to shower in there the last 6 months and she will definitely be jealous that I updated it as soon as she left.  

Everybody have a great week!  I saw this the other day and immediately thought of sharing it with you all.  Take care and embrace change.  Change is good.  


Lane
  

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

The baby quilt looks fantastic! Glad you had time with good friends.

Congrats to you and Rob (and Sydney too) for your latest milestone. Enjoy that bathroom!

Anonymous said...

It’s tricky raising adult children. Sounds like y’all are doing a great job with Syd.
Buy Rob some new towels too…he might miss sharing the bathroom with you.
Thanks for sharing. Mary