1/29/24

Dinner bell

Lately, it's been all about the food.  We already ate good, but I've been trying to up my game a little.  I'm a cook that can go in the kitchen, pull out a bunch of ingredients and make something that will be delicious about 90% of the time.  I know how things taste and I can imagine how they'll taste together.  I am less efficient at following recipes.  

I've been trying to learn to follow recipes in Julia Child's cookbooks with results that are...meh.  I've thrown out two genoise cakes and while we've eaten most of the rest, it's just been kind of struggling through it.  And, for some reason, I burn my hand about half the time because I'm paying too much attention to the recipe and not enough to the equipment.  So, I'm stepping back a bit and trying other cookbooks.  

Cooking is a distraction, and I'm throwing my whole self into it, so I spent yesterday in the kitchen.  I made the cake that ended up being the texture of cornbread.  But, I also made a delicious chicken stew that I served over mashed potatoes.  


And, I braised a leek.  We didn't grow up with leeks, but I've been experimenting, putting them in different things like potato soup and sautéing them with a sliced mushroom to fill an omelette.  Yesterday, I found this braised leek recipe with a pancetta dressing.  Who knew that's what a cooked leek tasted like.  It was just a one off thing to see if we'd like it, not part of a meal, but I ate the whole thing as an afternoon snack.


And, I made a pot of sauce with chicken sausage.  Not sure how that's going to be.  It was very greasy when I tasted it, so am hoping I can scoop some of that off now that it's been in the fridge.  The sausage has been delicious on pizza, so this is just an experiment to see how it goes.  


Last week, Rob's 2006 F150 hit it's first repair that exceeded the value of the vehicle, so he'd been shopping diligently for a new truck.  Saturday morning, he stumbled up on an ad for one that was almost too good to be true.  We went and looked at it as soon as the dealership opened and brought it home with us.  I can tell he's very excited and has been playing with it like a kid with a Christmas toy.  Every so often, I realize I don't know where he is and he comes in to tell me some new thing he's discovered about it.  





I'm going to be out for a couple weeks.  I'm having my eyes done...not for beauty, but for utility.  I'm having cataract surgery next Monday and the Monday after.  The one thing that no one has been able to tell me is how I'm supposed to work between visits when my eyeglass prescription doesn't work anymore. That's going to be an adventure.  Everyone says this is going to be a big nothing, and I am trusting in that and am not really even nervous about it.  I can hardly see now, so anything is going to be an improvement.  Unfortunately, due to a secondary eye condition, I can't get the Cadillac of lenses that would keep me from needing glasses.

Everybody have a great couple of weeks!  I wanted to leave you with this thought from Adam Rippon.  


Lane

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your eyes. Maybe Rob could be a guest blogger to let us all know you are ok. There’s a good TV series about Julia from 2022 with David Hyde Pierce and Bebe Neuwirth you might enjoy. She had cooking disasters too. Thanks for sharing. Mary

searsportquilter said...

You will not have a problem seeing during the two weeks - after you will have a great time!

Linda B said...

Cataract surgery was the best thing that ever happened to me! Prior to the surgery my eye doctor told me I'd never pass a driving test. The surgery itself is a walk in the park, and there's basically not much of a recovery period. Good luck, hope it all turns out great for you!

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for an easy next couple of weeks. Be good to yourself. :)

cbott said...

Pop out the glasses lens for the eye that's done first. Your vision still won't be perfect, but it'll be less wrong.

As everyone else has said, it's a very quick routine with a recovery time of 1-2 days (during which you're wearing a shield over your eye). You'll do great!

Carolyn

Caro said...

Good luck to you. I hope all goes well

Suzanne said...

Sweet truck. I had an F150 in the past and enjoyed it! The new Ranger looks fantastic. It's such a treat to get new vehicle, plus so fun to discover all its features! Great quotation from Rippon. Best wishes with your surgery and recovery!

Bridget said...

I am trying to teach my kids that you don't have to like everyone but you must be nice to everyone and in our book nice means you have to be respectful, empathetic, and kind...no matter what...

JustCallMeElle said...

I normally don't comment, but I have been through the cataract dilemma of what do you do between fixing the 2 eyes.

I saw someone suggest having the lens for the first corrected eye popped out of the frame. That may or may not work, depending on your current correction and the corrected 1st eye. It did not work for me. I had 2 strategies: 1) get an eye patch to put over the uncorrected eye, so you can see (somewhat) with the corrected eye. and 2) make a 'sleeve' to put over the corrected side of your glasses, so you're using your uncorrected eye with glasses.

#2 worked great for me with the frame that had the one lens popped out.. I just slid the sleeve from one side to the other, depending on which eye you needed to use.

The recovery, itself, was pretty undramatic. I think I took the day of surgery off (Tuesday) and then also the rest of the week (Wed-Fri), and did that for the 2nd eye too, while I got used to my new vision.

I really hope that the eye patch or glasses 'sleeve' works for you. I got the eye patch off of Amazon, and sewed up the sleeve thing the 1st day after 1st surgery. Oh! Careful with that rotary cutter! ;-)

Hubblebird said...

Ding ding! Hope you enjoyed the hilarious episode of the Anti-Chef where Jamie tries to open clams for a clam chowder. I was laughing so hard my eyes almost popped out.

Rebecca Grace said...

I hope all goes smoothly with your eye surgery, Lane. Oh, and I second the recommendation to watch that Julia Child miniseries during your recuperation if you can. I think I only watched season 1 but there's a second season out now, or coming soon.

Sue Smit said...

Hoping all went well with the cataract surgery Lane