2/19/24

A busy couple of weeks

Being without glasses is weird.  I've worn glasses since the 80s.  I need a pair of readers for really small print, but otherwise, I'm getting used to seeing myself in the mirror without glasses.  I had a birthday last week and I can see all those years laid out around my eyes.  At least my creases and wrinkles are from smiling and laughing and not from brooding.  I'll need glasses again at some point, but I'm going to enjoy this time of clear sight as long as it lasts.  

Over the two weeks, I spent a lot of time knitting and cooking.  I made this scarf out of a really chunky yarn and huge needles.  It was easy to see, even during that week when my eyes were out of sync and I couldn't see much.  




I made beef bourguignon.  About the most I ever try to do is feed Rob leftovers once, but when he saw the leftovers after that, he asked for it again.  I made half a recipe that was supposed to feed 4-6 and we ate 6 meals from it with some boiled potatoes.  I needed the potatoes to cut down on the richness.  If the potatoes had been cooked in the wine with the meat and carrots, I think it would have been too much.  This way, it was perfect!


I also made myself a delicious birthday cake; strawberry with 7 minute frosting.  Does anybody else ever make 7 minute frosting anymore?  It's the perfect accompaniment to a flavorful cake.  It's like frosting it with marshmallow or something.


It wasn't all good stuff tho.  We lost our old cat.  Sugarfoot was almost 20 and it was his time.  
Here he is, torturing Mable with a bath.  Don't let this pic fool you.  They were big time rivals for Rob's attention.


Work is good, but I wish I'd taken more time off.  I have the time and I had an excuse and I should have used it.  Instead, I rushed back to work and gave myself a couple of headaches the week between the surgeries and I should have given myself more time.  But, I guess that's more time I can take off in the spring, when I really want to be outside.  

Everybody have a great week!  Couple of gifs that I thought were fun.



Lane


4 comments:

Hubblebird said...

Hi Lane

Being Australian, I had to Google 7 minute frosting. I might try it sometime.

When I worked for Australia’s welfare agency I once challenged myself to only spend AUD50 to feed myself 3 meals a day for one week. Which would be around about what a Jobseeker welfare recipient would have for food each week after all other expenses are taken into account. It was hard, but I made a 1.5kg chicken that I poached (and thus made a stock for soups) provide my meat protein needs for dinner each day. My point being, as you have demonstrated with your beef bourguignon, recipes that say they will feed four are often way too much food that can be stretched further with extra vegetables.

I should force myself back onto the 50 dollar a week diet to stop overeating!

Love the colour of your scarf.


kathyz said...

I grew up with that frosting as a standard but I can't seem to master more than one out of 5 tries! :)

cbott said...

I too wore glasses nearly my entire life, and still two years later I get a thrill out of being able to watch TV in bed without worrying about where I'll find my specs in the morning!

If I had to, I could drive without glasses, but I still need them to see anything close. Trying to read a map without them? Impossible!

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Was it your Birthday? Happy Birthday! I’m sorry to hear of Sugarfoots passing. Thank you for sharing. Mary