7/17/23

This house is clean!

When I was young, my Dad told me that when his Mom couldn't sleep, she would scrub the kitchen floor and work through whatever problem was keeping her awake.  There was a time I did that too, but I'm fortunate enough to sleep good now, but I'm still a firm believer in cleaning (or some other project I can do by rote) to deal with stress.  There's been a lot going on and I've drawn on all my tools for dealing with it, including cleaning.  The house isn't perfect, but what house is?  

We cleaned the carpets and the upholstered furniture, I even washed the cushion covers in the washing machine.  Rob dusted.  I cleaned the leather on the recliners.  I even cut all the threads from when the cats used to scratch on the arm chair.  Floors were swept and mopped, counters were cleared.  The pile that was on the dining table and moved to a side table was moved back to the dining table...hey, nobody's perfect.  It's just so hard to keep it this way.  


I spent as much time as I could stand in the garden.  I know that it's a heat wave for everyone right now, so. I doubt many of us spent much time outside, but I tried.  Mostly it was to water, but I got a couple other things taken care of.  I think we're done with the greenhouse structure and the next thing is getting the shelving built.  I've submitted plans and Rob has looked them over.  He might have gone a bit overboard with the lighting, but as he said, if I'm out there in the dark, I need to be able to see what made that rustling sound in the corner.  I saw the lights from the living room and went outside to see what was up and caught him coming out.  It does kind of light up the yard.  


There's not much happening in the yard.  Everything is battening down for the hot summer.  Spring foliage is dying off and new foliage that's tougher and able to stand the sun has emerged.  And, I keep watching the water bill climb higher and higher.  The little lizards have hatched and everywhere I go, there's a tiny one looking at me.  I can barely see them until they move.  


Yesterday, I decided to make samosas.  They're an Indian appetizer and I filled them with a spicy potato and pea filling.  We sampled three yesterday and I froze the rest.  I could have eaten the filling as a meal.  I didn't do so good with the dough.  It's too much like pie crust and I forgot to add the salt.  And, I used the air fryer instead of deep frying, so they're not crispy.  A friend brought some to Rob and I noticed that when I air fried them, they were not crispy either. I plan to air fry a couple of mine and send them back to her for an evaluation.  


Everybody have a great week!  Find something you want to do and enjoy it.  Learn something new or find a way to let the stress pass through you.  If we hang on to everything that's happening in the world, we won't be able to enjoy what we have now before it changes again.  




Lane

4 comments:

Kathleen said...

oh I LOVE LOVE those buttons.
Glad your house is clean, hun, but not happy about too much stress. I do hope it's nothing personal/family/health. Just hold on tight.
Did I miss something? Who is that coming out of the greenhouse? An intruder?

Hang in there hun.
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

I should try your method of dealing with stress - maybe I'd get more done around the house. I tend to sit and read and try to get it off my mind. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

❤️❤️❤️

Anonymous said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing. Mary