1/20/10

I got a squishy

And, it could not have come on a better day. As my Papaw used to say, I was lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut. And, when I got home, there was a squishy from Day Style Designs! The stuff I ordered on Friday (and got free shipping on) was delivered on Tuesday! Way to go, Leah Day!



Anyway, I ordered the three item special. I got the Supreme Slider, Magic Genie Bobbin Washers and a pair of extra large quilting gloves.



The supreme slider is rubber on one side and sticky...believe me, it stuck to everything that I got it close to this morning, from fabric to plastic to paper. The other side is teflon. We have such humid weather in Texas and I've found that I have to grip the quilt in my right fist so I can pull, and can only use my left hand flat on the quilt for control. On the cold days we had this year, it was very dry and I found I could lay both hands flat on the quilt and had much more control. I'll give a review after I've used it, but we really won't know if it does what I hope until quilting season starts about mid-July (when it gets too hot and humid to go outside).



I got the bobbin washers because it seems that when I'm quilting at a consistent speed and the bobbin is just spinning along and then I slow down, it takes the bobbin an extra second to slow down and I sometimes get a little birdsnest on the back of my quilt. I'm hoping that this thin plastic washer that goes between the bobbin and the bobbin case will regulate the speed at which the bobbin spins just a little bit more and eliminate that.



And, I got the gloves because the only ones I've found have been made for tiny hands. I wear the extra large F/P gloves and still get cramps across my hands until I can get them good and stretched out, which point, the seams start to give out :-(. These extra large gloves are man-sized and fit me perfectly.






That fabric you see in the background didn't come in the squishy. It's the back for the log cabin quilt that I blogged about last Friday. It was spread across the ironing board. I bought it before I knew about John Flynn's method of piecing a quilt back on the diagonal, so I bought twice as much as I needed. I've been ironing and ironing...it feels like I've ironed a mile.
Take care and have a great Wednesday. We're half way to a quilting weekend. Lane

4 comments:

Vesuviusmama said...

All very sensible purchases. And isn't John Flynn's backing method cool? When I first read it, it just didn't seem like it would work, but it does!

lw said...

Thanks for posting about John Flynn's diagonal piecing method-- very useful information. I have a teflon mat, it makes a huge difference in how easy it is to maneuver the quilt. It also eases the slight mismatch between my lexan insert, sewing machine and quilting table, so the quilt glides instead of getting caught.

Let me know if the teflon washers work. I tried to find some at the Road to California quilt show last weekend, but they were out at all of the notions booths.

Becky said...

I love your Grandpa's saying....I know exactly that feeling! I haven't read John Flynn's method....I will be doing that!

Stephanie Hughes said...

Lane, thanks for the info. I will definately read up on John Flynn's method. I wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for a Lemonade Stand Award. You have been very supportive to me and I love reading your comments. Thanks very much! Congrats!