3/15/15

And, then some magic happens and it all comes together

Yeah, not really sure about that magic part.  But, it does somehow all come together.

First, the Triple Feathered Star center.

100_7991

This was giving me extreme fits yesterday.  But, I followed my own advice.  When it’s not going together easy, step back and look for the mistake.  Yesterday, it was a pinning error.  Two pieces were not supposed to match at both ends, and I stretched one along the bias until it stretched an extra 3/8” and matched.  But, the piece I collapsed to match that stretch would not lay flat.  Last night, I took it apart and this morning, I put that section together again.  And, sure enough, I found the error I was making and once I didn’t make that mistake again, it went right together, easy-peasy.

Now, I can’t wait to piece the next section to see how it fits into the 45* angles.

If it fits.

And, the next thing I worked on this morning was those d#$% eighth inch borders. 

100_7992

Way too flippin’ much trouble.  I wouldn’t expect to see any more of those from me.  Even after they’d been pieced and looked perfect (AGAIN!!!!), once they were sewn to the quilt and then the next border attached, they were waving all the hell over the place.  Right now, they’re pinned straight and hopefully drying that way. 

I do not possess the level of precision required for that. 

And, what’s more, I really have moved past the point of caring whether I ever get it.  I don’t have to be able to do everything, right?

But, they’re on and (hopefully) staying the way they are and I’ll carefully quilt around them to make them look straighter than they really are.  Because that much I do know how to do.

Everybody have a great Sunday. 

Now that I’ve sewn, I’ve got to do chores. 

Or, maybe I’ll just sit and sew some more.

Lane

6 comments:

Becky said...

I admire your tenacity. I would have wadded that thing up and thrown it into the road a dozen times by now! That, however, is why your quilts are so very beautiful and mine look like they've been run over with a Mack truck!! haha!
Love you!
Becky

lw said...

Wow-- the feathered star is coming out great! And the borders on stargazer, too. I can see how this will have a permanent effect on the precision of all of your quilts after this.

Kath said...

Seeing these quilts gives me the feeling that you really like to stretch yourself Lane, I admire the way you tackle a tricky and somewhat daunting project.

Lakegaldonna said...

Gorgeous gorgeous workmanship. I love seeing what you come up with.

Have a great Monday.

bernie said...

I think you are way to hard on yourself. These are what I would consider masterpieces and I cannot see the mistakes you insist are there ! LOL Bernie

Rebecca Grace said...

No, you DON'T have to be the best at everything -- but you ARE really good at an awful lot of things, and the more you struggle, the more you improve. People who only make quilts that in their comfort zone are no better at quilting after 10 years than they were when they started. I think your feathered star is amazing.