8/5/19

All alone and plenty to do

Rob is out if town, so it's just me and all the daily chores.  It's 5:24am and I've already made coffee, fed all the animals, and walked the dogs.  I even caught up on work email to see if I could figure out which direction the day would go.  I couldn't.

Rob left early yesterday and I got up and started my day with some sewing, then yard work and watering.  Then I showered and decided to set the time on my phone for an hour and spend it cleaning house.  Then, I was going to give myself another hour in the kitchen and an hour cleaning the studio.  I did great the first hour.  The second hour took an hour and a half, but I also baked strawberry scones and cornbread sticks to eat this week.  And, my hour in the studio was a bust.  I got distracted cleaning up my embroidery floss and didn't get much done...til I realized that with the floss cleaned up, there wasn't really that much else to do in there.  It was a real mess.

I've made good progress on the quilt shop embroidery.  Lots of greenery still to go.  And, I plan to outline the sewing machine in the window with black.  Maybe some in the quilt, too.  But, not too sure.  That's a lot of extra work on a project I'd like to be done with. 


We've finished the guild quilt.  I sewed the last border on yesterday.  I don't think I can show you a picture yet, tho.  I think it needs to be shown to the guild first.  But, soon as that's done, I will post a picture.  It's a very different project for me.  Not my usual style.  Very modern look, I think.  Now that's done, I can get back to my sewing projects.  I have a couple days off scheduled this week and I plan to spend some of that making paper pieced sections for my project.  The quilt guild project took most of the months of May and July and I just need to sew on my own stuff for a little while.  I spend June getting the pieces ready for my quilt, now it's time to sew them up!

I had been using the Singer 401, but there was still a tension problem and every so often, the top thread would get stuck in the race hook and then caught in the hook assembly.  I had resorted to looping the thread around the bobbin winder tension, then feeding it in to the top thread track, which gave more tension, but it wasn't enough and the machine would still catch thread once in a while.  Yesterday, I got tired of living with that and took the tension assembly apart and put it back together and it sewed the rest of the day, just fine. 


I've decided to start a new leader/ender, but that means spending a little time at the cutting board.  A friend gave me this collection of fabric and I've decided to turn it into a set of stars.  All sizes from 4.5-18" square, but divisible by 9.  Mixing them up together.  Using stars as the centers for larger stars sometimes.  Stars randomly placed on the quilt surface.  It may be a huge mistake.  But, it also may be a darn cute quilt.  I may even mix in a good red. 


Okay, last but not least, these two were sharing Rob's pillow.  Sort of.  I don't think it was really sharing on the dog's part.  It was more tolerating an immovable object. 


That is normally the dog's place to lay, but the cat's gotten very uppity lately. 

Everybody have a great week!  It's first week of the month, so it will be a busy one for me.  Syd comes to finish packing today.  Her moving truck gets here tomorrow.  She has chosen not to include us in her move in any way.  Knowing that there is not a darn thing I can do about that, I am just smiling through.  Hoping this won't be the last time we hear from her 'til Christmas morning gift unwrapping time. 

But, a little worried it might be. 

Lane

4 comments:

Dot said...

But you have given her so much love.

I think of all the behaviors she's learned from you and you've seen (and shared)that she's demontrated. Helping an out of touch neighbor. Noticing some of her friends not watching out for each other. Saying goodbye to you friend who was dying.

If she does need some space, she will come back, no idea when, but she will come back. You simply don't forget the love.

Not forgetting that you and Rob are very capable people. She may just be doing her darndest to be equally capable, another learned behavior.

Anonymous said...

Please don’t post a picture of the moving truck. You’ll have us all in tears.....and we’ll all want to make quilt blocks for her first apartment quilt . Thanks for sharing
Mary

Mary said...

It's so hard to let them go but it's also the most important part of parenting . And you have been doing it right to have achieved this result.
I've been an absent follower lately as I dealt with the reverse situation, seeing in-laws through a medical crisis and getting them out of their house and into assisted living. Glad to catch up with your doings.

Anonymous said...

Soon Syd will remember the good food...I agree, please do not show the moving truck. What does she have to move that Rob could not move in his truck! Stay busy. This too shall pass. lum