12/14/20

All together now


The maple leaf blocks are an official quilt top.  The search for a border needs to begin in earnest.


 I've tried a few things and have determined it needs to be falling leaves on a brown background. I have the perfect fabric.  Unfortunately, it's the leftover backing from a quilt I gave this family earlier.  That doesn't mean I can't use it...it just feels a little awkward.  I know that if I don't find anything else, I'll have that as a fall back.   (fall fabric for a fall back...I crack me up.)

I was sitting in the living room last night, watching TV and looking at this quilt.  This is such a simple quilt and I'm really enjoying it.  


We went to another neighborhood concert on Saturday.  We both dressed comfortably for sitting in the sun, but then the sun wend down past the houses and we were quite chilly, but the concert was great.  They added a guitarist...from George Strait's band, and he really took it up a notch.  A nice crowd showed up and everyone had fun.


Even though it's gotten cold and the flowers are about all gone, there's still plenty of color in the garden.  


For a while, the leaves will carry the load...at least til the first freeze.


This weekend, I set up the portable greenhouse and moved more plants in and I put a few things in the ground.  Of course, I didn't take pics.  I also spent a good part of the weekend baking.  4.5 dozen frosted sugar cookies, not pretty but delicious!  Some Rugelach that I found in Southern Living.  If I do them again, I'll use twice the sugar and cinnamon and a semi-sweet chocolate instead of bittersweet, but they're still good (even though Rob TV ran the saddest Christmas movie ever while I was baking them...maybe that's why they're not sweeter).  Hello Dollies were a holiday staple in my Grandmother's kitchen.  A graham cracker crust topped with coconut, chocolate chips and pecans, layered with sweetened condensed milk and baked.  Delicious, indeed!  And, in the center are some sausage biscuits.  The rest of those are in the freezer to be baked a few at a time.  For Christmas Day, I'm baking a spice cake and going to see if my pastry bag skills are still any good...fingers crossed. 


So that's how I spent the week.  Quilting, baking, gardening, being a good husband and a good father.  And, working my bohonkus off because it was the first week of the month.  Hopefully this week will be a bit slower.

--------

Today, the electoral college votes.  This is getting out of hand.  People are likely going to get hurt. Hopefully, democracy will survive, tho it will be tattered.  Hopefully, we can do better over the next four years than we've done in the last four.  

Oh, and it's Dr Jill Biden, no matter what that creepy man at the WSJ said.  

Everybody have a good week.  Stay home, stay safe.  

Lane


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas at your house. Baking looks delicious. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Debby said...

Hello Dollies! I haven't thought of them in many years. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

bets said...

The fall quilt is lovely! Good job on the baking. I need to get mine started (just haven't been in the mood yet).
And yes, to Dr. Jill!
Cheers, Betsy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for another great post, Lane. You brighten up my Mondays! Thanks for you comment about Dr. Biden. Anyone who has endured the toils of a doctoral program deserves to be able to use the title.

Anonymous said...

Quilt is very attractive with those colors. I need to think of some cookie baking soon.....a tin of homemade cookies are just about the best gift I love receiving cause everyone’s taste so good. I agree with you that things are out of hand with all these ideas being hammered into the weak minds followers of such evil. Dr Jill will be a breath of fresh air with her education, spirit and class. Kathy

Suzanne said...

Your falling leaves top looks fantastic! And that Christmas quilt is great too! Was that from pattern or kit, or did you make it up yourself, perhaps from a variety of sources? I really like all the different blocks!

Amen to Dr. Biden being called by her title!

Dot said...

I would never have chosen that quiet print for your Christmas quilt outer border. Your taste is better than mine. It looks just right.

You did remove some of the green falling leaves, settling on your final block arrangement? It also looks just right.

Those outdoor jazz concerts sound so friendly, communal, and safe. We have snow in the Midwest so even though you were chilly when the sun went down, your part of Texas also sounds wonderfully mild.