12/21/20

Tis the busiest season...

It's always so busy this time of year, so much going on.  Shopping and wrapping and being of good cheer.  Oh, and the weeping.  Almost every Christmas movie makes me cry, so of course, Rob insists we watch every one ever made.  This year, for the first time, he lumped Desk Set with Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn in.  I'd never thought of it as a Christmas movie, but turns out, it is in a way.  Fortunately, that's one that doesn't make me cry.  But when Patrick Stewart as Scrooge wakes up and realizes he's alive and starts to laugh, I start to cry every time.  (and I hope I always do)

I did more baking this weekend, making cheese straws and more Hello Dollies and I baked the cakes for Christmas Day.  I made some delicious savory spiced pecans, too.  I followed the recipe and when they came out, they didn't taste like anything, not even a pecan.  Since I didn't have anything to lose, I poured another egg over them and added some additional spices and a bit of sugar and they came out as some of the best spiced pecans I ever made.  And, I managed to give myself a good cut on the finger that really put a damper on the rest of the baking day.  We've been watching The Great British Baking Show, so I have great aspirations for my Christmas cake.  We will see what I can actually pull off.  Three layers of spice cake with a cream cheese frosting and maybe an orange filling.  I'd like to pipe a Christmas tree on top...we will see.  

I finished the Linus afghan.  All made from leftovers and scraps from other projects.  And, I've started another with narrower stripes that will use up smaller balls of yarn.  I've also decided I want to make another sweater, so I've bought a bunch of skeins of wool and am trying to pick a pattern for a cable knit cardigan.  I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the number of options.  


I did get to wear a pair of hand knitted socks last week.  I'm hesitant to wear them around the house when I'm working from home, but I needed to go to the optometrist and  it gave me a chance to wear some nice socks and shoes for a change.  


I also think I've picked the border and back for the maple leaf quilt.  We will see when they get here.  The batik is for the border and the paisley for the back.  


I also spent a little time making Christmas masks for us and Syd and her bf.  We're not quite sure what to make of the bf being here for the holidays.  I think Rob had an expectation that we'd still get some time with just Syd, but I don't think she has that same plan.  We will see.  I just keep being reminded that "they grow up so fast."  I thought about buying Syd a Barbie doll because things were just so much simpler back when that was the right gift.  


My man, all masked up in his new mask.


I thought I'd share some Christmas decorations.  This is the mantle, with the Santa collection and some other odds and ends of Christmas cheer.  


And, one of Rob's villages.

And, my favorite Christmas quilt.  



And, one last picture of a December rose.  That will be the last one of the year, and even it is not perfect...but it was welcome the day I found it.


The holidays are hard for a lot of people.  I'm one of them.  The expectations others put on the holidays are a bit overwhelming.  Always one to doubt myself, trying to meet the expectations of others just adds to that.  I try to focus on meeting my expectations and let the rest go as it will, but the closer we get to the big day, the harder that is to do.  I know that most people are of good cheer this season, but also remember those that are struggling to be cheerful amid what feels like a mountain of other people's expectations and disappointments.  And, if you're feeling that way, remember that it's okay to step back from everyone else sometimes and just take care of you.  Life can't just be about meeting the expectations of others.  

Be well, have a good holiday season, no matter what you're celebrating, and try not to think about how much you'd like to shove some blowhard relative's head up that part of the turkey that went over the fence last.  

Happy Holidays to you and yours! God bless us every one.  

Lane, Rob and Syd

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas....hope you have a memorable day....like a Christmas movie day. You prepared well in advance so that you can sit back and enjoy the holidays . Thanks for sharing. Mary

Anonymous said...

Have a Merry Christmas and a healthy, happy New Year. Thanks for sharing.

Dot said...

The two of you have a lot of energy to put up so many Christmas decorations. It is a treat to see your Christmas quilts in the pictures. I find myself remembering when you were both working on and commenting on some of them, so seeing those quilts on display is like seeing old friends.

Merry Christmas!

http://thankfullga447 said...

Happy Holidays and good health for 2021. My best time of Christmas is the afternoon of Christmas Day and I can sit, stitch and watch Bishop's Wife. Day after New Year's I declutter.