6/28/21

On anniversaries

This was our anniversary weekend.  The second of the year.  Before we could legally marry, we celebrated the day we started dating.  Not the day we met, but that fateful day when a lean blond cowboy asked if he could kiss me in a dance hall and I said yes.  We've been going strong ever since.  And, we celebrate the day that marriage equality became law and we received an "informal" marriage that was legal in most states but required a waiting period.  After waiting something like 4 hours for a license, we weren't leaving unwed.  And, then there's our formal anniversary on July 4.  (If your spouse complains about having to remember your anniversary, tell them they could have three to remember.)  

 We didn't do much.  We worked in the yard on Saturday morning and then did a trip to goodwill for some shopping.  Rob bought a beautiful lamp.  He wasn't sure when he was looking at it, but it was cheap and I said give it a try.  If it didn't work, we could re-donate it.  Then, we had a nice lunch at one of our favorite restaurants.  The afternoon was very quiet and for dinner, we had takeout from the restaurant we ate at after both of our weddings.  Yesterday was much the same.  Some yard work, a little shopping, lunch out at a new place, and then home for the afternoon.  It's so hot here that we don't even try to stay out in it after lunch.  I baked a cake and Rob had a nap and we finished the weekend with breakfast for supper.  

It was another good anniversary.  

Not so many new flowers this week.  The heat is knocking down the spring bloomers and the summer flowers haven't gotten a good start yet.  There are hints of the blue and red that will happen as it heats up out there.  Dot, you were very right about my garden being a family reminder.  I've received many beautiful plants from my parents and others from friends and neighbors, sometimes just picking up something that got kicked out of the ground or broken off and dropped on the sidewalk.  But, it all started with a gift from my parents and my Aunt Jane.  When I moved into the house, my parents helped my Aunt dig up and divide her front flowerbed.  They kept all the overgrowth and brought at least part of it to me.  Some I've killed, like the beautiful flowering almond, but most of it is still out there, making flowers and creating a beautiful view.  I think everyone involved can be proud of that.  

Here's an interesting plant.  I can't remember the name, but Syd gave me this plant many years ago as a man-mom day gift.  The leaves are purple and red on the top, but on the underside, they're a beautiful pale green.  I almost killed this last year, but it has bounced back and is doing very well.  


This crape myrtle came from neighbors across the street.  They were moving into an apartment and didn't have space for their plants.  This was in a pot and they gave it to me.  It's having a really good year.  


I think this is all the bloom I'm going to get off the oak leaf hydrangea this year.  It didn't like that late freeze and seems to be holding back flowers because of it.  


A little cake.  I have a terrible sweet tooth and am loving my 6" cake pans.  This is a lemon cake with a lemon cream cheese frosting.  Very refreshing.  I can get 6 very satisfying slices out of a small cake, which means it's gone in three days and we're not stuck eating cake for days and days and days.  I used a box cake mix and divided the batter between three pans, with one pan more filled than the others.  The first two are frosted below.  The third pan made a cake about twice as thick as the other two and it's in the freezer.  In a couple weeks, I'll take it out, cut it in half horizontally and frost it and we'll have another lemon cake.  


Everybody have a wonderful week!  My new bosses and I are starting to get to know one another and our interactions are becoming more relaxed.  A couple times last week, I was able to answer with "already done that".  I think they're getting a feel for how on the ball I am and I'm getting a feel for what they want to see and how they want me to think about things.  Overall, it's working out well and is a win for all involved.  

Be safe and hug somebody important to you.  Lane

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Thank you for describing how you use a cake mix in a 6” pan! I'd think that method of dividing the batter and freezing the cake should work for any recipe of cake batter. I’m a chocolate lover, but my husband and kids are not. And making one entire chocolate cake for me is not a good idea! I’m good at portion control, but that just means I’d eat the cake over 2 weeks (and it would be gross by the end of its life). I’m definitely not good at throwing away food! I’d way rather make a small cake and have frozen cake for the future. So, many thanks for this 6" cake pan tip!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary…..oh happy day! Thanks for sharing. Mary

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Happy Anniversaries!

Dot said...

That purple leaf plant looks very much like my Crimson pygmy barbarry plants scattered around my yard. They are extremely drought tolerant and a wonderful dark accent in our yard. Sydney made a good choice.

Happy anniversary!

Every time you share about your work, I wish I'd had your blog to read when I was very young and working. Your insights and perspectives would have been totally foreign and so USEFUL.

LinB said...

Happy anniversary! and many, many more.

Here's a neat trick for an even-smaller cake: Combine one cake mix (any flavor) and one angel-food cake mix.

Put 3 (three) Tablespoons of the mixture in a large mug, with 2 (two) Tablespoons of water. Stir until well mixed.

Microwave on HIGH for 1 (one) minute.

Ta-da! A fresh, one-person cup cake, ready to top with whatever floats your boat.