10/4/21

Words are deeds

I was reminded of that last week when I was sparring with a crazy person.  It's not just the physical act of hurting someone that's wrong.  Saying words is a physical act and can be just as hurtful.

I got the first glove finished.  It could have been better.  I've only made one pair of fingered gloves before and they're great, but I've worn them nearly out and want a new pair.  I picked this solid grey sport weight yarn, knowing that if it doesn't work out, it's just yarn.  This one is a little too small.  And, there are some errors that I didn't see until they were far behind me and where the fingers come together, the stitches aren't very tight.  I could "sew" the finger joins together, but I can't fix the tightness, so I've started another glove in a larger size.  I'm halfway up the thumb gusset.  These go really fast, so I don't mind starting over.  


Friday, we got the call that the fence builders were coming today.  Rob and I spent most of the weekend in the yard, clearing around the fences so the builders could get in to work.  When they did the estimate, they told us they'd need 2' on either side of the fence and that I should dig up or cut down what was in that area.  Rob says they'll be surprised by how seriously I took their words.  Some of what I dug up was going to be moved this fall, and now it's in pots, waiting for the work in the back yard to be finished.  We don't know exactly where the new gate is going to be, but it's likely going to change the shape of the garden on that side and now that's a mostly sunny spot, I have some plants that will benefit from being there.  I just have to remember to save space for tomatoes (keep my eye on the prize of that sunny spot).  What I didn't dig up, I cut to the ground.  It's all perennials and they'll come back.  They'll try to come back this fall, but next year, you won't even be able to tell I cut my garden to the ground.  (I can't believe I cut my garden to the ground!). 

This back corner was full.  It's the only remaining shady spot and things hung into the path.   All that had to be cleared out.  


This is the newly sunny side of the yard.  There was a mock orange that grew under the fence, so I enjoyed it inside the back yard and outside the back yard, where it was originally planted.  We already had a new starter that we'd put in at the other end of the fence for balance.  I dug up starters from both plants and have a large pot of them.  Later, when I have time, I'll pot some of those in smaller pots to give away...I'm thinking the time to give them away is early next spring when the parents are in bloom.   (You get a good view of the fence that Rob built here.  This is 17 years old and is still in really good shape.)


This is my poor camelia that I nearly lost in the February freeze.  It's coming back, but it's slow.  It has growth in that 2' cleared space, but they're just going to have to work around that.  I left this and a crepe myrtle and an acuba in the ground that they'll have to work around.  With the rest of it cleared out, that shouldn't be too much to ask.  


Every composting trash can we have is full and there are several piles of limbs for the city crews to pick up today. 

I just deleted four paragraphs about how hard interpersonal relationship are with people that don't know how to have interpersonal relationships.  Not everyone has that skill.  Not everyone cares enough to learn it.  Screw 'em!

Anyway, I just finished three really good books about women I thought I'd mention.  Call Your Daughter Home by Deb Spera was a wonderful read.  It's about three very different women and how they handled the challenges thrown at them in the early 1920's.  Each is a sweet example of loving a child and surviving emotional pain.  This Tender Land by William Kent Krueger is a boyhood adventure, but the strong women in the story move it forward, propelling the group from city to city and adventure to adventure.  And, It's Not All Downhill from Here by Terry McMillan.  I haven't read anything by Terry in a long time, but this book makes me want to read more of her work and soon!  This one is about love of children and love of friends and love of self.  I was inspired and uplifted by the message of hope and triumph when the main character just wanted to lay down.  

Everybody have a great week!  I can hardly wait for the new fences to be in place.  I'm so glad we had the trees cut first.  I am thankful for the good things and the good people in my life and look forward to my next adventures.  I feel sorry for people that don't have those things to look forward to.  

Happy is where you find it.  

Lane


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words helped me deal with an uncalled for word spewing relative. Thank you. I find it hard coping with those who can’t seek help or find something to give them a new purpose so I now separate myself from them. I am okay with my decision to walk away from them. So your words were very timely today. Your yard is looking very nice with all the challenges of weather and trees so give yourself credit for keeping at it to make it look it’s best. Kathy

Dot said...

Thank you for the book titles. I have already reserved/checked out all of them. And as you read and enjoy others, it would be a gift if you shared them, also.

You have so many skills. Take that glove - "These go really fast so I don't mind starting over." Believing that, for myself, is beyond me.

The fence builders will really appreciate all your preparation. Two feet on either side of the fence footprint is a lot of area.

The two of you are so good about planning ahead and getting everything in good shape, NOW, so when you are older and slow down, you can enjoy it.

I can't imagine either of you slowing down. :)

Becky said...

Love you, Lane.

Becky

Anonymous said...

The glove looks good….what size needle is it knit on? The books sound like good reads. Good luck with the fence. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Lane said...

Hi, Mary. The gloves are knitted on a US size 2 needle. They’re so small and pointy that I have to be careful when the pets get near

Kat@kkblou.gmail said...

Your work comments always inspire me and your knitting, quilting always inspire me. Your gardening reminds me of my Mom.😁

http://thankfullga447 said...

Thank you so much for the book recommendations. Call Your Daughter Home is so well written and I gave it 5 stars. For a first novel, it is awesome. I see a movie in this book.