7/25/22

More shirt making

I looked back and I've featured a shirt or my apron in the last 5 posts.  Gonna be the same today.  I"m also getting a lot of housecleaning done and last weekend, I sealed all the grout in the kitchen tiles and it looks tolerable again.  Still looking forward to a new kitchen, but it's part of a lot of other decisions, like do we still want to live in Texas, so it's "on hold".  We had a conversation about it yesterday.  An honest conversation that set the tone for the day.  We had a great day, laughing and watching TV and a trip to the grocery.  It's always good to be on the same page.  And, we may have made a new plan.  A plan that gives me what I want without spending a fortune that we'd regret if we move in a couple years.  

So, the yoke for Syd's shirt became a very frustrating story on Saturday that ended with me ordering another yard of fabric that will be here later this week.  But, I was in the mood to sew, so I pulled out a piece of fabric I bought for myself and started cutting.  I was hoping to finish this weekend, but there were too many other things I wanted to do, so I only got this far.  The side and underarm seams are just pinned.  I'm glad I did.  I'm not struggling near as much as I was with Syd's shirt.  It will be good to have one under my belt when I get back to hers.  It's so much easier to sew for me.  I'm right here to try it on every step of the way.  

I love olive green.  


It's so hot out.  I know it's been hot everywhere the last couple weeks and at the rate the climate is heating up, I worry about how many more summers until crops start to fail.  My Dad was telling me this weekend that they had 100* days when he was a kid.  My grandfather walked through snow knee deep to get to work.  But, those were anomalies.  These extreme weather conditions are becoming the norm and we should all be concerned.  This squirrel has it figured out.  He laid there the whole time I was having lunch, not feeling threatened at all.  It's better than him laying in my flowerpots.



I had to put a shade cloth over my strawberries.  Rob and I talked about them the other day and whether they should survive in this heat.  They look awful, but they're still making berries (tiny, hard berries, but berries).  And, they're sending out runners with baby plants on them, which I've been waiting for all summer.  This is where I plan to get my free plants from.  


And, the limes are in bloom and making baby limes.  I've been drinking lemonade from the lemons I harvested last December.  The limes should be ripe next spring and perfect for margaritas.


My Grandmother used to make fried apple pies.  She started with dried apples that she would stew, then roll out a biscuit crust and add the apples, seal them with a fork around the edge and fry them up.  They were soooo good.  I decided I wanted to try it, but baked instead of fried.  I used canned apple pie filing and added a little cinnamon.  They baked up perfect in about 12 minutes and they were delicious and much easier than making an actual pie, which would have required the oven be on for an hour.  The crust was a little dense, so next time, I'm going to try it with ready made pie crust, cut it in thirds, roll it out and add a little filling, fold it over, crimp, and bake.  We'll see but I have great hope.    My un-fried pies.


-----------

I watched the hearing from Thursday night.  I keep wondering how election denying politicians feel.  Do they really believe the election was stolen from trump?  Or are they just saying it because he told them it was how they'd win.  There's no denying the evidence of sedition, possibly treason in trump's actions those two months between the election and the attempted coup.  There's also no denying that there has been NO evidence presented to prove the big lie.  So the people that still believe the big lie have to be doing it on purpose, choosing not to see the evidence right in front of them.  Those are the people that frighten me the most.  They're like zombies in the way they don't think.  And, we are not taking the people spreading the lies  down fast enough.  

To win, the Democrats don't need money.  They need message.  Every hour of every day, there should be a news conference by a different Democrat, explaining the lies and demanding the truth from the deniers until they've all been shown as the frauds they are.  But, we're not.  We're acting like ladies and gentlemen because that's what 80 year old politicians do.  It's time for young people on the Hill.  The Ds also need to give up on some of the ridiculous controversial bullshit and focus on doing the people's business.  

So, yeah, blaming both parties, because I don't think either one is representing us.  

Everybody have a great week.  Find something you love and do the hell out of it, but remember to stay cool and hydrated!  

Lane


3 comments:

Bridget said...

Every once and awhile I have a project that will not allow itself to be made easily. Fights every way. They must know I don't throw too many projects in the trash. I also never give up until I have bent it to my will. lol!

Dot said...

Your shirt looks terrific, even if you did't "get it finished this weekend". Your sewing skills are top notch.

Nice problem solving with Rob. A solution that leaves both parties happy is a win.

I am wondering if more people are realizing how mamy rights we are losing, as well as how many more we have the potential to lose. And come November will there be enough votes for positive change?

Anonymous said...

The shirt looks good….oh and so do the pies. Thanks for sharing . Mary