10/24/22

Well, I went to the work conference.  It was a fun conference.  Lots of laughter and it was good to see old friends.  They packed every minute with some activity so by the end of each day, I was exhausted.  We had speakers and games and icebreakers and I smiled until my face hurt.  But, one of those people had a secret.  They had covid.  And, a bunch of the attendees went home with covid, including me.  (I didn't post last week because my Mom reads my blog and I didn't want her to know I was sick until I was relatively certain I would survive...of course, I could have blogged about something else, but I wasn't feeling very creative then and didn't think of that.)  I am fully vaxxed and boosted and wore a mask from the time I went in the airport until the the time I can out and I still caught it.  Now, Rob has tested positive, but remains asymptomatic.  

Anyway, with all that down time, I was able to get several things done.  I finished this pair of socks.  This pair of socks seemed to take forever because I kept stopping to work on other things.  This is another pair where I found the repeat in the yarn and was able to turn it into an almost matching pair.  


And, I picked all the quilting out of the triangle quilt so I can start that project over.  I'm going to have to be very innovative.  But, I can do this and get over this hump of quilter's block I'm in.  The creative juices are not flowing toward quilting right now.  


I started work on the other wool kit I bought.  I was planning to save this for a while, but what the heck.  Why wait?


And, I assembled the Barbara Brackman September block.  It's in the center below.  I'm enjoying the challenge of the blocks but have lost some of the enthusiasm I started the year with.  


Wow!  It sounds like I was really busy, but most of what I did was sit around and read and drink tea and sleep.  

Rob and I tried to keep him from catching it, but he tested + on Saturday and has made arrangements to work from home.  He's very disappointed and doesn't do any better at sitting around being sick than I do, especially if we're only a little bit sick.  I guess it's akin to cabin fever.  I was feeling well enough yesterday to put a roast in the crockpot and make a pumpkin pie, but after that, I was ready to sit down, so I'm still taking it easy, but I do plan to work the whole day today.  

High points and low points of last week.   The high point was having a couple of the youngest and newest members of the team ask me what the best career advice I ever got was.  Sometime around 1991, a lady named Nancy told me that every time they asked me if I wanted to work on a big project, say yes.  That advice has offered me opportunities that few in my job group have had and build a name for myself that is widely known.  The low point of the week was being the old man.  The one that asked about "early" rides to the hotel and was ready to go a half hour after dessert was finished and the waiter had stopped asking if we were okay and the busboys were hovering and just wishing we'd go home already so new diners and tippers could take our tables.  That's the true sign the party's over and I was the one with the "nerve" to ask about putting the party to bed.  Many people appreciated it.  But, I still felt like the old man in the commercials.  

That's it for me today.  We're resting and drinking lots of fluids and eating well.  Neither of us is sick enough to need a doctor and that feels pretty lucky.  Everybody have a good week and watch out for your health.  It's the only one you've got.  

Lane

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are doing well Lane and Rob gets over the dreaded Covid equally as quickly. Take care and truly missed your post last week but figured you were sick. Keep well and rest up

Anonymous said...

I’m happy to hear from you. It’s not like you to not post. Sorry you and Rob got Covid. Hope you feel better soon. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Suzanne said...

Glad that you are doing okay!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you and that you are doing better. Hope that Rob feels better fast. Thanks for sharing.

Dot said...

I'm sorry you had Covid and glad it was mild.

I am incredulous that you are taking out the quilting on your triangle quilt. But uyou put more thought into your projects that often fill me with admiration. Logically, I should feel respectful and leave it at that.

Always appreciate when you share about your work.