10/31/22

Where does the time go?

It doesn't seem that long ago that I could work on a dozen projects at a time and always felt like I was making progress on all of them.  Not so much anymore.  Now it feels like I'm busy but don't make any progress on anything.  It's because I have too many projects going on.  There's so much bad in the world now and I need constant distraction so I start something that looks fun and work on it a while til I get bored, and then start something else.  It's the way I'm built and it works, but it means there are all these little piles of unfinished stuff laying around. 😉

Yeah, that's why there's piles of stuff laying around.  I'm like one of my Grandmothers that way.  I'm going to need that tomorrow, so why put it away today?  Drove my Mom crazy!

I did finish the penny rug I started while I was sick.  These go so fast compared to needle turn appliqué.  


I have another kit, but I'm really hoping to work on some other things before I start it.  

I'm cutting things back in the garden, getting ready for winter.  There's only a little bloom, but there is fun color.  This volunteer pepper plant is covered with tiny round peppers.  They could be Thai Chilis.  I haven't tried them, but they make a pretty display.

My mums always fall open like this, so I've had to adjust to the fact that they're not going to make balls of flowers.  I guess it's because there are so many flowers and I'll take that over shape.  I bought three more this year and look forward to putting them in the ground for next spring.  



And, the green rose is blooming up a storm.  This green rose is pretty old now.  They make roses that make green flowers now, but at the time, this was what was available.  It doesn't make petals, only sepals.  Where a regular rose has 5ish sepals, This rose has many sepals, all bunched together to form a flower.  It's been so happy in its new spot.  Finally after years of me looking for the perfect spot!  It gets mostly sun, but a good bit of shade too.


---------------

As much as I'd like to say 'I told you so', I'm too busy being appalled by the right.  And, I'm not much happier about what I'm seeing on social media from the left.  I'm sitting back, waiting to see what will happen.  

Pray for us all.

Everybody have a great Monday and Happy Halloween!!  We've got our treats and toys all bagged up and ready to go.  We'll likely get a dozen trick or treaters and then about dark, we'll shut it down.  Back in the day, the kids on our street used to traipse all over the neighborhood as a large group, ringing bells and shouting trick or treat!  We'd get full size candy bars, coins, and sometimes, popcorn balls.  How I miss popcorn balls, but Rob can't eat them and they're too much trouble just for me.  I should look for a recipe that makes just one or two.  

Lane




2 comments:

Suzanne said...

How interesting that your trick or treaters come before dark! In the different places that I’ve lived, it only starts after dark (~15 mins after the sun sets). I love hearing about different places and how each spot is a bit different! My husband was driving 3 coworkers to an off-site meeting last week, and they had the most interesting discussion about autumn traditions! One was visiting from the UK, and two are originally from India but have lived in the US for the last 9-12 mos. The one from the UK was marveling at Halloween/autumnal displays at people's houses — big inflatables, stalks of dried corn, hay bales, etc. He said something about how people in the US get very excited about things and are so demonstrative, even in their decorating. All three grew up in cities and still live in cities, so their drive through our suburban area led to a conversation about our local animals (fisher cats, raccoons, coyotes). See, it sounded so interesting that I’m even telling you about it, haha! The other thing is that this also made me sad because people from very different places can, of course, get along marvelously. But people who are imbecilic, right here in the US, are ruining things for the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Penny rug looks great. I’m sure you can find a recipe for two popcorn balls. One for you and one for Syd. Interesting that we’re talking about Halloween one day but boom…it’s November. The count down to the Christmas swag you and Rob put up. Thanks for sharing. Mary