2/27/23

Spring

Spring is starting to spring in my garden.  I've walked around and all the plants I worried about in the freeze are putting up tiny new shoots and leaves.  There are even a couple of flowers.  

The spirea started it.  It's opened more in the couple of days since I took this.  I think I'm going to get a nice snowball effect from it this year.  


 The white iris are always very early.  These came from a neighbor's yard.  I found one tuber on the sidewalk and brought it home and now they're everywhere, but only a couple have bloomed so far.  


And, the grape hyacinths I planted last year have given me a few flowers.  Just three, but I hope there will be more.  More important than flowers this year, the bulbs lived through last summer.  That was my worry.  They'll get bigger and stronger and I believe I'll get more flowers from them as they do, but only if they can survive the Texas summer heat.  


They came through this weekend to pick up the limbs that were downed by the ice storm a few weeks ago.    They've been piled on the curbs and sidewalks and streets.  Now, they've cleared the busier streets, but looks like they still have some side streets to clean up.  Rob and I watched like two boys fascinated by big machinery.  


Our dogs are getting older and needed a lower surface to use to jump on the bed.  We found a few tings I liked at retail stores, but Rob wanted to build something.  He built a nice chest that was lower and is hollow for storage.  

Then, it was my turn to come in and upholster it.  We chose a nice fabric that has sketches of dogs on it.  What better to use to upholster something we're building for the dogs.  It's not quite done yet.  I want to line the inside and there are a lot of threads left to cut.  But, for the most part, it looks pretty good...but don't look at it too close.    

So, that's how we spent our week.  Rob and I spent Saturday morning shopping.  We only needed a few things, and for the most part we only bought a few things, but we laughed a LOT.    

Everybody have a great Monday!  Challenge yourself to something you're not sure you can do.  You'll probably be surprised at how well you do it.  

Lane

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dog bench is amazing. It’s nice to see signs of spring. We got a foot of snow over the weekend and more to come today. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Dot said...

You comment that your and Rob's chest for the dogs to use "looks pretty good". I think that is my favorite understatement of the year. It looks amazing to me.

cbott said...

Here in Pf-ville we've been warned it might be as late as April before all the debris is picked up. That'll give me time to get to the highest of the broken limbs in our two trees. It's taken two passes just to take care of all the easily-reachable carnage.

The chest is wonderful! I hope the dogs catch on quickly.

Carolyn

My Piece of Earth said...

What cannot you do? The bench looks amazing, well done both of you.

Don't plant your iris too deep, they like a portion of the tuber close to the earth surface.

Megan said...

Hey Lane - you say not to so something and I am there - doing it! So, I enlarged the pics of the bench so that I could have a really good look. Congrats to both of you - it looks like a very professional job.

Megan
Sydney, Australia