3/6/23

Plants everywhere

We've had beautiful weather since Friday.  Earlier in the week, we had a lot of rain.  It amounted to a great weekend to empty the greenhouse and spend both days in the yard.  Sure my shoulders and knees ache, but it was worth it.  This was Friday, and over the weekend, it changed and the garden looks more full, plus the plants that I've moved out to their outdoor homes.  

Last week was crazy busy at work and I was like a sword fighter in a movie, taking out one foe (project) and then another.  By end of week, I had whittled my project list down to something I could face without dread.  I love crossing things off a list.  I got to spend part of it in the yard enjoying what nature is showing off.  There were more grape hyacinths.  


And, some yellow Columbine nearby.  Neither of these plants died back during the winter, even in the ice storm.  


I had lunch in the garden a couple days last week and the dogs certainly enjoyed the opportunity to smell everything and lie in the sun.  

Things are kind of a mess out there now.  While I was able to empty the greenhouse and cut off any dead growth from winter, I did not have time to do a lot of staging plants around the yard.  They're waiting in clumps, things that go here and things that go there, and some of them have to be moved while I wait for the crabapples to leaf out.  But, I can see how it's going to look when I get more time to do stuff.  

Next weekend, Rob is going to start repairs on the greenhouse.  We need a new roof.  The greenhouse is in full sun now and it gets too hot to keep plants out there.  We're going back with a grey tinted roof to cut down on some of that.  And, it needs a new vent and I think he's going to give me a window and some new shelves and a new floor.  And, we're going to paint it grey, like the house.  Right now, it's yellow like the house used to be.  I'll be holding the ends of boards and taking orders in the beginning, but when we get to the paint part, I'll be able to be more help.  

In my quest to learn to grow orchids, I've expanded to include a Dendrobium orchid.  We'll have to see how that goes.  So far, it's working out great!  The plant was in remarkably good shape for half off and it seems to be enjoying being with us.  


Everybody have a great week!  Stop and smell the roses and give yourself a break.  Life is hard now and it's not going to get any better until we find a way to speak in one voice and say ENOUGH!  I have confidence it's coming soon or I would not be able to get out of bed in the mornings.

Lane


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! It’s spring. How refreshing. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Suzanne said...

Lovely plants! What a green thumb you have, in addition to all of your other skills, talents, and expertise! It’s definitely not spring yet here in New England, but I know it’s coming :)

That Ron DeSantis, and all the people who adore him, sure has me feeling less hopeful on many days. I’m buoyed by your hopefulness!