A little winter gardening

I shouldn't even call it winter, because we aren't having one of those this year.  Which is okay for the garden, I guess, but it's gonna be heck in summer with all the extra bugs. 

I spent a lot of time in the yard a couple weeks ago, cleaning and getting things ready.  And, I spent more time out there this weekend.  It's going to look great this year.  Instead of adding things, I'm focusing this year on moving things around, to get their optimal spots for looks and for environment.

I knew that spring was here officially when I saw the forsythia in bloom.  Ready or not! 


I set up a few little pots of mixed plantings, just for some fun and early color. 

A little more fun...I don't know if these will do anything this early, but I was just drawn to the particular orange. 

And, other than the forsythia, this is the first bloom of the year.  This iris came from a neighbors yard.  She was a prolific gardener who passed away a couple years ago.  Like me, she was a "hectic" gardener with a chaotic yard that I loved.  One day, I was walking the dog and one chunk of one of these iris had heaved up and someone had kicked it and it was on the sidewalk.  In two years, it's turned into a large clump that will need to be divided this year. 

The Dresden Plate quilt continues.  I didn't really think about what a totally hand made quilt would be like.  Binding.  Think binding.  Rob even asked if I could cheat and put the binding on the front with the machine.  But, I didn't. 

I sewed it to the front by hand, then folded it over and sewed it to the back by hand.  Well, I'm sewing it to the back by hand.  I just started that part and turned my first corner. 

The plan is to bind it, and attach the sleeve and wash it and block it.  Then, let Rob go over it with his judge's eye and give me feedback.  I may not be able to fix everything he finds.  But, I think I'll have a really good idea of what I'm submitting to the show after he gives it a once over.  And, I still have time before the show in September to make a few changes. 

Everybody have a great Monday.  Today, I have an eight hour meeting.  Tomorrow, I fly to New Orleans and back Wednesday afternoon.  It's going to be a busy and fast week. 

I'm glad I spent some time this weekend relaxing in the garden and quilting.



lw said...

Love the garden photos. We still have snow melting and no daffodils yet.

Binding a quilt by hand! That's dedication.
That's a lot of layers of fabric to get a needle through.

Eileensews said...

I live in Louisiana!! Watch out for tomorrow's weather-it's supposed to be bad.
My garden is not showing any signs of spring yet but yours is looking colorful!

Vesuviusmama said...

Binding both the front and back by hand!?! I hadn't considered that, either! Ugh! You are a trooper!