3/7/16

I just couldn't stop!

I know that every quilt has that perfect amount of quilting that sets it off perfectly, hides imperfections, provides usefulness.  And, if you go too far beyond that, it's a bad thing. 

I had big plans for this little quilt.  And, I didn't see any reason to change them just because it's going to be a pillow and not a wallhanging.


One of the presenters at guild not long ago said she "quilted the snot out of it."  And, basically, that's what I did here.  There's a ton of thread packed into this small space. 


I was inspired by things I saw at the La Grange quilt show and incorporated them.


And, I was inspired by the quilting in the guild's raffle quilt. 

I've picked a red binding and I'm going to use a white back because I'm worried that a red back would rub off on everything it touches. 

I've really been thinking of this as practice for the star quilt. 


The thread is here, the needles are here, the batting is here, the backing too.  And, now I'm all warmed up and in good practice, it's time to get this one started.  So, egg me on.  Because I'm feeling just the tiniest bit intimidated by this one.  What if I mess it up?

And, what if I don't?

We spent a lot of time in the yard this weekend.  The flowerbeds are all cleaned up and fed.  Everything is bursting with spring growth.  Nights are still cool and the citrus blossoms are just opening and letting off their fragrance.  It's going to rain for the next few days.  The garden should be beautiful this year. 

And, I made 32 more arcs for the double wedding ring quilt.  That gets me back up to 80.  Now, it's time to cut more diamonds and melons from the olive and start assembling more circles.  Now that I've chosen 42 as the number of blocks, I need to get all the centers cut so I will know if I need to buy more olive fabric.  And hope there's still some on the bolt if I do. 

And, since I wrote last, I've "finished" the Dresden Plate quilt.  Now, I put "finished" in parens because I know I need to make two small fabric repairs, and I'm almost certain I'll have to rework a corner of the binding.  But, yeah, for the most part, it's finished.  I hope.  Oh, and if you ever want to sew a binding on a quilt by hand, both sides, call me.  Let's talk about that.  And, whether you really, really, really want to do that or not.  Do not attempt this without a pair of needle pullers (hemostats).  You will wear out your hands. 

The guild asked for book donations for the boutique at the show.  I'm off to peruse the cabinet and see what I can live without.  And, how much space I can make for more. 

Have a great Monday!  Lane 


4 comments:

Becky said...

I love the red pillow!! Beautiful work as always! Now, get in gear and quilt the snot out of the other one. You'll do more wonderful work....this is just anxiety you are feeling. Let it go!!!!

Have a great week,
Love, Becky

lw said...

The red pillow quilting is amazing, I can't wait to see how you do with the very precise star quilt.

Glad I'm not the only one who "finishes" quilts. I'll be the Dresden plate is really lovely now; I'll also bet you may be the only one who sees the imperfections-- though they'll drive you nuts if you don't fix 'em, so I would because I always do, too.

Kath said...

That pillow isjust breath-taking. Another triumph Lane!

Carla said...

Don't know if it's over or under quilted but I know I love the quilting on the pillow. WOW
Hand Binding both sides don't have to tell me ... won't happen. Only the finishing side of the binding will be done by hand.

And I doubt you'll mess up the star quilt and what's the worst that can happen you'll have to un-sew it....

Have a great day