10/4/09

Last of our favorite Chisholm Trail Winners

Today's photos are the last of our favorites that also won ribbons. We had lots of other favs and I'll show some of them tomorrow.

This first quilt...I'm not sure what happened to the pic. It was a miniature, each of the hexagons finished at 1/2 inch. I'm not sure why we didn't get a better picture. This quilt was made by a friend of my mentor's. In addition to the hexagons, there was some beautiful applique around the edges.


First place, Miniatures - Ladybug Garden by Melinda Noonan


The next quilt was a whole cloth quilt that was all done by the quilting. Loved it and she did a really nice job of it. Lots of thread went into this one. There were about 20 of these assorted little animals in the quilt, but to show the detail, we had to focus on just a couple of them.


Third Place Other Techniques - Fauna Fantasy by Martha Tsihlas

This one is a bug and we couldn't figure out what kind, so of course, Sydney had to take a pic of the one we couldn't figure out.


Okay, I did really good on spending. But, Sydney's camera really washed out the colors. I got the three center pieces of fabric, each between 30 and 42 inches wide and selvage to selvage for 50 cents each. I picked up 5 light colored batik fat quarters. I can't find lights in any of the local shops, so when I find them, I buy them. They're lavendar to yellow, to a light gray. I picked up the Texas state pattern to make some gifts from. I'm thinking it will be another good way to use up some scraps and I'll border them in bluebonnet prints. I got some of the soft pony tail holders for my bobbins, about 8 to the bag and 3 bags for a dollar and I got some green ceramic lead for my pencil. If you haven't used the ceramic leads, I highly recommend them. They stay on the fabric very nicely while you quilt or sew. I've had a white one that I use on dark fabrics. Now I have a darker green to use on my light fabrics.
Hope everyone had a nice weekend. I'm off to read some blogs and get some work done. Take care. Lane

3 comments:

My name is Riet said...

Hi Lane. I missed your yesterday's post and there are some fabulous quilts there. Wow, I don't think I could choose when I was in a jury. All so beautiful. The people who make them are real artists. THey all must take their times to make these so special quilts. Thank you for sharing.
Riet

Coloradolady said...

Sounds like you had a great time at the show..it is always fun to see what other are doing, and what they have quilted. I know I enjoyed the one here. Great price on your fabrics....you stayed true, and did not buy a lot...Good for you!! That is one thing that is hard to resist! Have a great week...I am enjoying your post a day by the way!

Shirley said...

I'd love to be talented enough to do a whole cloth quilt. Sounds like you got some good deals! At the shows here the deals at the vendors aren't all that good.