10/23/09

No procrastination

Rob and I are not procrastinators...well about anything but going to the dentist. We both procrastinate about the dentist (him worse than me).

Sydney, on the other hand, procrastinates about everything if we let her. I'm sure it has something to do with her age. That means that this weekend, we have a multi-page science project that has to be finished so it can be turned in next Thursday. Thank goodness I've had her working on it slowly since it was first assigned, three weeks ago. I know that if I'd let Rob take care of it, she'd be done by now. There would have been arguing and crying and gnashing of teeth and I would have begun abusing the anti-anxiety medication, but it would have been done. And, it would have been stellar work. But, I took this one on...somehow. (I'm actually not quite sure how...it seemed that suddenly, without volunteering, I was in charge...)

Now, you're asking why we have to finish this early? She has a book report due after the next weekend, and we're not quite halfway through the book. The good news is that she can read to me while I sew, and while I cook, and while I clean out the cabinets in the garage this weekend. My own little book on tape that's more than willing to put the book down for a couple of minutes to run fetch something for me. It's one of the perks of parenthood, right?

Speaking of sewing, I've completed almost all the ditchwork on that little hand quilting project I picked up. I am bad. I have at least three big projects that I need to be working on and what am I doing? playing with something new. To my credit, I did start working on the indian orange peel this morning in anticipation of the weekend and I have great plans for quilting on the apple themed quilt. I've actually slowed on that one lately while I decide whether what I've done is sufficient. It sure would be nice to do some tiny background stitching around those baskets of apples. It would really make them show up. But, if I do that, then I have to do that same level of background work on the rest of the quilt for consistency, and the thought of that much work on such a large project is daunting. One day I wake up and think it's a good plan and the next day I wake up and think it's a bad idea. Maybe this weekend I'll make a little practice piece and look at it before I decide. Or, maybe I'll just go back to that handquilting. Ya' never know about me.

Uh-oh. Is that a way of procrastinating?

Y'all take care and have a great Friday. I'm hoping that I can get out of here early today. It's a beautiful day and I'd love to get out in it. I wonder if I can take a machine outside and sew on the deck. Wouldn't that be fun! Or sit in a swing and read a book. (see how easy it is for me to procrastinate?) Lane

5 comments:

DeAnna said...

How does it feel to be back in school? At least we don't have to take the tests. I love to procrastinate...it's how I get other things started....maybe not finished, but started. I've come up with some great ideas by the method of procrastination.

Molly said...

I vote for taking your machine outside and sewing....all day. Wouldn't that just be a dream come true? Take care and have a good weekend.

Coloradolady said...

Girls tend to procrastinate...I have done my best work by procrastinating and finishing...there is hope! Have a great weekend.

Quiltluver said...

Nothing like a deadline to get the job done. I procrastinate too, more at home than at work. Hope you have a good weekend. Karen

Shirley said...

I try not to procrastinate but I guess we all do it. I do like deadlines too though. Then I can divide the work up into sizeable chunks. I think the dentist thing is a guy thing. I'm in there every 4 months. DH only goes when he gets a really bad toothache and Michael follows his example. Having Sydney read to you while you do other things is a great idea.