5/15/23

That was fast

Last Monday, we re-worked Syd's resume.  On Tuesday, she started searching for a different kind of job.  Instead of things like unloading trucks, she looked for office work and customer service jobs.  Thursday, she had her first interview.  Friday, a followup interview, and today, she starts her first day of work.  That's much faster than we expected that to go.  On Saturday, we bought her a business casual wardrobe that will get her through two weeks, repeating pants only.  I almost got her into a dress, which for our 't-shirts and jeans' girl was quite the accomplishment.  It took longer to find her shoes, but we found shoes she liked after a while.  They're not particularly good shoes, so we need to keep looking, but we got her started.  

And, now we wait to see if she can transition from unloading trucks on an overnight shift to office work, 8-5.  It's going to be a challenge, but she's excited and I"m excited and Rob's excited and we'll be waiting to hear how it all went over dinner this evening.  Fingers crossed!!

It was a rainy weekend here, so no chances to work in the yard, and after all that shopping, Rob and I just wanted a nap Saturday afternoon.  Yesterday was still wet and drippy, so I was finally able to finish my shirt.  Yes, it has a 20.5" neck and I'm a size 17, but whatever.  When I really studied it yesterday, the neck hole in the yoke is too big.  I just need to re-draft that portion so the collar sits higher and that should take care of it.  But, it's a good enough shirt to wear around here to work in.  JoAnns has a striped fabric I'd like to try next.  

I'd never worked with plaids before and this is an "irregular" plaid in that the lines are wavy.  I thought I'd lined up the plaid lines, but after folding back the front plackets, the stripes were not even close.  Hey, you live and you learn, right?  I used the wonky plaid, thinking it wouldn't be too noticeable if I was a little off.  That was wrong, but I learned a lot about matching plaids that I'll take into the next one.  


My favorite part of gardening is watching it go from this


To this, in just a few months.  


There were more daylilies last week.


And, the oak leaf hydrangea is loving it's new place.  It's been all over the yard, but I think I've finally found a place it can be happy in.



And, this orange iris bloomed for the first time that I can remember.  This came from a friend a couple years ago and I planted it in a bed that was too shady, but after we had a tree removed last year, it's not too shady anymore.  Some of the daylilies she gave me are going to bloom this year too.  


And, this little guy did his best to threaten me the other day and send me back in the house.  Didn't work.  But, he let me get really close before he turned tail and ran.  I think his cheeks were full of birdseed but it didn't stop him barking at me.  


Here's today's statement of fact.

When every accredited medical organization in the country agrees that gender-affirming healthcare is safe, appropriate, and medically necessary, then barring patients from receiving it is state enforced medical experimentation. - anonymous

All because repube men are afraid they might flirt with a woman that has bigger equipment than them.  

Everybody have a great week!  Take care of yourself and your loved ones.  It's feeling more and more like every person for themselves out there.  

Lane



4 comments:

Dot said...

That is in incredibly appealing squirrel picture. Interestingly, he doesn't look agressive just intense.

Your wood fence has hardly aged. I'm thinking it's two years old (?) and it still looks fresh. It remains a lovely backdrop for your flowering borders.

Yeah for Sydney! Change is tricky and it sounds like she is taking to it with didigence and enthusiasm. She learned some of that from yourself and Rob, of course.

Your shirt looks good, particularly the shoulder fit. I have no doubt you will deal with reducing the neck size. I have stopped being envious of your many skills and just enjoy your work.

Suzanne said...

Oh, wow, on the Sydney news! I’ll be rooting for her! Your shirt looks good to me, and the yard and garden look fantastic!

jane said...

your yard is lovely, no wonder the squirrel wants to be there.
I always love hearing about your projects. It teaches me things. thank you.

Anonymous said...

All good energy at your house helping to make lots of things inside and out happen. Good luck to Syd. Thanks for sharing. Mary