5/8/23

The second coming

of Sydney, that is.  Syd made some questionable life choices as young people do and has come back to get a bit of a reset on her life and get back on her feet for another go at conquering the world.  I had to do that once when I moved out of my parent's house and we told her when she was in high school and after that she could come back once.  I really thought it would be before she turned 25, but I guess she's a late bloomer.  And, we're going to do all that stuff she sneered at when she was in school, like learning to budget and finding a career and interviewing in a professional setting and how to dress for a job.  And most of all, learning to live with people that have expectations of her.  Like getting up in the morning and having a work schedule for her full time job of looking for a full time job until she has a full time job to do.  And going to bed early enough to be able to get up early enough to work.  

This is the way.  

Getting her moved and her stuff in storage took most of Saturday.  Fortunately, we had her boyfriend there to help, because I'm at the age where we hire a mover, not DIY it.  But, it meant not much else got done over the weekend.  I made a shirt from my updated pattern, which had a mistake at the neck, so I had to cut a larger collar stand, which meant I had to cut another collar, and I was hoping that would happen this weekend, but it did not.  And, I have a quilt that's only partially quilted that I've left out so it can mock me and hopefully motivate me to finish.  

The Patty LuPone concert was WONDERFUL!!  We had so much fun.  Just stepping outside our box and going something we'd never been was fun.  We were like tourists, asking questions of the ushers, even having one take our picture.


And, we were very close to the stage.  It was a small venue and everyone was close to the stage.  We'd like to go there again for more performances.  I don't do well in large crowds and being around 3k people is a lot different than some coliseum with 30k people.  


I took pics of the Austin skyline, which has changed so much since we moved here in the early 80's.  



And, there were flowers.  The orange daylilies went nuts!  I'm not sure what was different this year.  Maybe the cold winters.  


And, there was this beautiful yellow.  It had been in a pot for a while and hadn't bloomed.  When I updated this section of garden last year, I put this in and this is what it did.  It was a good choice.  


This is that section of garden looks good.


Work has been challenging.  We're all hands on deck, oars in hand, rowing together to steer the ship in a different direction.  I've been asked to do things I don't do often, so I've spent considerable time beating back the demon that whispers in my ear that 'I can't do that'.  That demon can kiss by butt because...well...I am doing it.  

I do want to leave with a statement.  

Only in America do women have fewer rights than guns
Books are more banned than guns
Cars are more regulated than guns
Drag shows are more policed than guns
Abortion pills are harder to get than guns
Welcome to the killing fields of America, courtesy of republican lawmakers.  
                            -Anonymous

Everybody have a great week!  Celebrate yourself and beat back your personal demons.  And, vote every time the polls are open.  Even if you don't think you have a dog in the race, vote because you can.

Lane







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There’s a reality show on tv where parents brought their oldest son back home for a reset. The decision was easy but the work that followed was hard. It all seems to be coming together but it took time and some professional help. Thanks for sharing. Mary

Suzanne said...

I hope Sydney takes advantage of all that you and Rob have to offer. You have big hearts.

My spouse and I voted early in our local election (tomorrow is the official Election Day) and things are a bit spicy in our town at the moment, so it feels like it really does matter! We are serial voters, but this time more people are coming out than usual for the town election — six people running for two open seats in one case. Should be interesting…

cbott said...

Our youngest is back in the nest too, and has been since September. It's been an adjustment, especially because I also moved my mother to Texas 6 weeks before that and visit her 5 afternoons a week. Trying hard not to lose myself among the extra bodies in my life now.

I miss seeing the Dome and the imploding Frost Bank silhouette in the new skyline. That "unfinished" building is just stupid looking, and I don't think there's a fan of it in all of Austin.

Carolyn

jane said...

I love your comments.
It is fabulous what you are doing for Sydney. My parents were not so nice. Just threw me out and told me I couldn't contact any relatives. then threw out another couple of siblings. Glad you are not that sort to Sydney.