11/11/09

common denominators

I am soooo tired of 6th grade math. We're preparing for an end of the grading period test tomorrow and spent about 3 hours working on adding and subtracting fractions with different denominators last night. I finally got so tired I couldn't multiply in my head and pulled out the calculator. I normally work them the way she has to. When she said I was cheating, I patiently explained that I'd already passed the 6th grade, so all that mattered now was that I had the right answer so I could help her, not how I got the right answer. She wasn't buying it. Of course, Rob thought that was hilarious.

What I don't understand is why the teacher didn't just give us the right answers so I wouldn't have to work the problems. I'm a little out of practice :-(

I seem to be looking for common denominators with everyone lately. Right now I seem to be out of sync with everyone? I have a business trip next week and am not sure how much that's affecting me. And, my Dad is having a little surgery today. I'm sure that's got something to do with it. And, everyone at work is really uptight about having enough time to do their job.

I'm really spending a lot of time in my own head and everyone around me wants me to be out there with them.

Rob found a quilt pattern in a magazine I left laying open this morning. I haven't even quilted the last one he asked for. Guess I'd better get on the stick. I didn't even get his cmas quilt basted over the weekend. I am behind. But, I've bought two cmas presents! I think I'm ahead of the game.

Lane

5 comments:

Coloradolady said...

Math of any kind makes my head hurt..oh, I remember those days....I hope everything goes well with your dad today, I will think about him....I have not bought a single thing...and normally by now, I am finished....I don't know what it is about this year....but I am not ahead of MY game....take care of yourself....

Becky said...

My dad was a high school math teacher....let's just say the creative side of my brain fires....not the analytical....he just couldn't understand why I could not "get it". In the third grade I nearly drove him loony because I just couldn't remember my 9's multiplication table. He'd just shake his head. He DID get to enjoy that my sister is an accountant and my brother is a math teacher. :)

Hazel said...

Prayers are being sent for Dad .I'm with the others math makes my head hurt LOL

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

I teach 5th grade math - thanks for giving me a taste of what parents go through helping their kids with math!
I think the fact that you love quilts and quilting might mean that you are very strong in the area of spatial math (geometry etc.). I think that should you be your story and you should stick to it!
Evelyn in Montreal

Vesuviusmama said...

Oh no, I'm in for it aren't I? My little guy is just in 2nd grade, and I'm already tired of homework!