8/31/11

Quilting in cowboy boots

Yes, it can be done. But, it is not for the faint of foot. You have to have strong ankles.



This morning, I had 15 extra minutes between making multiple breakfasts and dog treats and watering plants and school supply lists. I was already dressed and my teeth were brushed and I had my shoes on. What is a quilter to do?

I spent 10 minutes quilting and 5 minutes writing this blog post. Sounds like the right way to spend an extra 15, right?



Boots are not flexible at the top of the ankle. These are my new boots, with a nicely padded heel. But, they're still stiff. Did I let that stop me? Absolutely not.

Is this just one of the things about being a male quilter; our shoes aren't built for it? We need large rotary cutters to fit our hands. My thimbles are made for women's thumbs. Flowery prints can be made to work, but I don't see many male quilters use them. There aren't enough gradations of gray and brown to suit most men.

Oh, well. I guess it's no different than being left handed. Regular scissors hurt my thumbs. Rotary cutting rulers and tape measures are numbered on the wrong side. Sewing machines are backward.

Doesn't stop me.



This is August Linus. Yes, I am quilting straight diagonal lines and yes, it feels like cheating. I'll do some free motion work in the border and practice those leaves I want to quilt into the west of paris quilt. But, straight lines are fast perfectly acceptable. And I need this one to go fast. Tomorrow is September and August is not done and I have other quilting I want to get to. No big projects planned for this weekend, so maybe there will be lots of quilting time on my schedule.

Not to be a defeatist, but I think that next year, I'll shoot for a Linus quilt every other month.

Take care and have a great day. Lane

10 comments:

Coloradolady said...

I love the boots! ;o)

Becky said...

Rock those boots!!!

Seraphinalina said...

I like the boots too. Very good use of 15 spare minutes, more than I would have got done.

My mom is a lefty, I grew up hearing occasional lament that the world was not organized for her. End result is that there are some things that look correct to me, but don't really work for me as a righty because I grew up seeing the ironing board (for example) set up for a lefty.

Alternating months is still generous and if you find time you can surpass your goals rather than feeling that you aren't meeting a goal that doesn't leave enough time for your own plans.

Kathleen said...

Maybe you can find a friend who will agree to do a Linus quilt everyother month - and then you are still on schedule for them!!!!

Paul said...

I too like the boots. I used to have a pair just like them when I lived in Nashville. Had a hat too, but they don't go over so well in Columbus Ohio, so I've gotten rid of them.

That use of 15 minutes is EXACTLY why I can't wait until I have a sewing space in my home. It would take me 15 minutes just to break out the sewing machine, sew one seam, and get it all put back away before I had to leave... Oh well, I quilt when I can!

Paul
www.OutnumberedQuilter.com

Laura said...

I quilt barefoot. I used to throw barefoot, too, which gave my ceramics prof fits. And I empathize about the thimble thing--I inherited my dad's hands. Sure, they're scaled down some, but my fingers are wider than most other women's. I use the leather thimbles that actually come in sizes for that reason! Have a god day, Lane! :)

lw said...

I am also left-handed, so I understand about not being the intended user for some things-- especially power tools, which are not made for smaller hands or for the left-handed.

I don't think that the simple quilting is a cop out, that quilt will be softer and more cuddly.

Lynette said...

Heee, Lane! I love this post :)

Shay said...

It takes great skill to quilt/sew in boots, so this is just another of your many talents.

I sew barefoot- I know Im not supposed to but it works for me.

qltmom9 said...

I've taught my left-handed dd to quilt...NOT easy!
My sewing area is usually piled with mending at the beginning of a sew session.
15 minutes is time to come read your blog and check email here. LOL!

I can't find boots that fit. Why do they assume all women can wear heels in winter?

Lucy~