8/12/11

Travel Projects

If you've read my blog for a bit, then you know that I don't sit still well. If I am still, I am asleep (makes training at work a real pain). So, when we were contemplating an 11 hour drive each way for vacation, I knew that if I was going to be present on those days, I was going to need projects.

A friend had shared her Mom's crochet thread stash with me while she was cleaning out their house, so I decided to try a crochet doily as one of my projects. But, I also know that I'm not likely to do much "doily" work because in modern day decorating, really, how many doilies does one need. And, they looked like they'd get tedious after a while. I wanted something on the masculine side, so I picked filet crochet for my portable crochet project.

I picked a practice project and a real project. For the practice project, I picked a pink thread because, when was I ever going to use a pink thread in anything, so it was perfect for practice.

Little did I know (actually nothing did I know about crochet thread) my project was bigger than my ball of thread. So, I only "practiced" half. But, that was enough...believe me, that was enough.



After I'd practiced, I pulled out my "real" project. It's this Greek Key doily. I picked a huge ball of thread for this one and with what I've completed so far, I haven't even made a dent in it. What you see below is what I've completed in a week. Needless to say, it goes kind of sllllooooowwwwwww. That's not very exciting for me, although I do get excited when I put it down for a few days and then realize how much I've completed. I'm in my second repeat of the key pattern now, so I don't even need the paper pattern anymore. I'm just repeating what is already there.



But, my favorite travel project is still knitting socks. I have the pattern just about memorized and only need the paper reference for the heel and toe. I rarely have to look at what I'm doing as my fingers know how to find the stitch and they tell me if I drop one. I change the pattern up a little bit every time I make a pair, just to give my brain a bit of variety. This is a pair of ankle socks to go with a new pair of brown leather sneakers. I was informed by my 13 year old fashionista that I am not allowed to wear brown sneakers, white socks and shorts again. EVER.



Speaking of feet, this morning was my dr's appt and I have a diagnosis on my foot trouble. I have Plantar Fasciitis. The Plantar muscle stretches down the calf, across the heel and the sole of the foot, out to the toes. As we get older, that muscle tends to tighten. Because I exercised without properly stretching it, I injured myself and when I stopped walking, it did get better. The condition is made worse by standing on a hard surface, so when I stand around barefoot, I'm just making it worse. All this helps explain why I had almost no foot pain on vacation. I took the time to stretch before we went walking around and I wore shoes the whole time we were there. And, I was rewarded with no foot pain.

Hopefully, this all means with proper stretching and a bit of Aleve, I should be back on my feet in no time. And, she suggested a heel support for any of my shoes that don't have padded soles and not to buy any more shoes without proper padding. If it's not better in 2 months, come back and we'll do some xrays.

I am happy. This is very good news. And, it was so lucky that I remembered to trim my toenails this morning. I had completely forgotten I was going to be showing her my feet. We also discussed the upcoming 50th birthday and what joyous fun we'd be having together taking the trip down the new medical procedures. Her response? You're just another butt in a crowd. Okay, I like straightforward and matter of fact. It's all business and if I just keep thinking of it like that, maybe I'll get over dropping trou in front of someone that I run into often in line at the office cafeteria. But, I did warn her that I'd probably blush for a while after.

Everybody take care. I'll be quilting this weekend because it is just too darn hot to be outside. We so need a break.

Time to start gathering school supplies. And, time to start practicing our Spanish again.

Lane




10 comments:

PattiLynn said...

Plantar Fasciitis - ouch!! I had that several yrs ago from wearing flat soled mary-jane shoes that I dearly loved. They had little padding and I was almost crippled before I realized what was happening. *sob*

I got some of those gel heel pads you put in your shoes and started wearing shoes with a slight heel and good support, as in a good walking / athletic shoe. It took awhile but did go away and hasn't reoccured. Thankfully I avoided surgery, as the doc mentioned possible heel spurs developing. Yikes...

Take care Lane, and *shudder* ...time for Spanish lessons again? already? so soon?

The doily looks great!

~ PattiLynn

Tammy said...

Hi Lane,
I had plantar fascitis last summer, at times it was so painful that I could not walk without limping. Back then, I worked bare foot in the house. I've changed my ways to wearing sketchers tone-ups flip flops all the time in the house and sketchers shape-ups running shoes for walking on the treadmill and wearing outside when it is too cold for flip flops. These sketchers are designed with a big cushion in the heel and an arc support. The foot actually rolls forward when walking to improve circulation, as well as strengthen muscles in your back and butt. The change is remarkable, I've walked over 600 miles on my treadmill plus walking the dog every day with no pain at all.

Laura said...

Another project you could try is crocheted dish rags. I'm fairly sure that the pattern, such as it is, can be googled, and all you need is 100% cotton yarn. :) They're good for scrubbing dishes and fairly utilitarian...

Glad you figured out what was wrong! And, now, I have a "cheese sammich" to make for my three-year-old...

Margie said...

If you think this is slow I guess that tatting would't be for you. It is very portable however.

Piece by Piece said...

I was also going to suggest the crocheted dish cloths. They really work up fast, and are the only ones I use now. That reminds me I should start some more. They are great little gifts to tuck into Christmas gifts.
I don't think any man likes "That" exam during their medical, how do you think us woman feel with a male Dr. lol
You will get through it, just smile.

Patricia

Pauline said...

Plantar Facitis is hard to heal. I had a Dr once who wanted to remove 3 bone spurs in my feet. Claimed they caused the PF. I changed shoes, stayed off my feet as much as possible and in time the problem vanished. Still have the spurs and they give no problem. Does this remind you of a quack?
You've got me wanting to knit some socks, where can I get a good pattern?
Love your blog!

Auntie Em said...

Hi Lane, I had PF a few years back. Problem went away after I stopped going shoeless or barefoot whenever I was at home. I always wear a shoe with a molded footbed with a nice arch to keep that muscle stretched. Took a while, but now I have no more pain and can even get away with going barefoot for short periods of time.

Love that Greek key pattern!

woolywoman said...

you could crochet little tiny doilies for the spool pins on vintage machines. But yes, a sock is a beautiful thing for travel. I also have EZ's Pi shawl going- very soothing, long rounds of stockinette.

kansaswx said...

Hey Lane, I'm an expert at curing PF. You need one of those foot things that you wear at night. When you sleep at night, your foot stretches down and the muscle tightens and then it hurts in the morning. Want proof? When does your foot hurt the most? Morning. Wear this thing at night and it keeps your foot at a 90 degree angle. That gives you a good stretch for 6-8 hours depending on how long you sleep. I've had this about 5 times in 20 years and wearing this for a while always cures me. You can find them by googling, plantar fascitis night boot. Get one that is pretty rigid and velcros around your leg. You can also wear this when not sleeping, say on an 11 hour car ride. Love your blog.

Vesuviusmama said...

So nice that there is a name and a solution to your foot troubles! And, Lane, you'll never be just another butt in the crowd to me!