12/8/14

Continue to create

We are thinking that maybe people in Austin haven’t realized how soon Christmas is.  We went shopping on Saturday and didn’t run into anything approaching a crowd until 1pm.  We gave it up and came home at 2pm, after a very long line.  But, we got a ton of our shopping done. 

I spent a good bit of the rest of the weekend working on the table runner I promised Rob.  I want the picture on everyone’s dashboard to be a pretty one, so here’s where I am now, ready to hand sew the binding. 

100_7555

Remember that it started like this…just an idea in my head.

100_7543

Too crowded.  So I started to add pieces and spread things out, designing as I went.  Making sections and then joining the sections. 

100_7544

Bigger…  And at the last minute, Rob said it didn’t need to be two sided, so I turned that center tree around. 

100_7547

I kept piecing small units.  I ended up making a series of columns…unfortunately, they were an odd length…11” including seam allowances…that meant adding some very narrow strips, very creatively.

100_7549

And, when it was still too crowded, I added some strips of 2.5” squares.

100_7551

Last night, I quilted it in about an hour and fifteen minutes.  Just some ditch work in almost all the ditches, skipping a few for expediency.  I can always add more quilting later if I want. 

100_7554

And, now it just needs binding. 

I pieced another one, but it’s a gift, so can’t show it til later. 

Here’s the inspiration quilt, hanging on the wall for its debut.  We just hung the holiday quilts last night, so you’ll likely see this one again later, when I take pics of them all, on display for a limited time only.

100_7556

Everybody have a great Monday. 

Lane

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Love this runner - very inspirational and I enjoyed reading about how you put the design together - not at all prescriptive :) Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing pics of your holiday quilts. Elizabeth

mssewcrazy said...

Beautiful runner! I really love quilted runners . I did two simple ones with 2.5 in strips in Christmas prints and there's something so special about using Christmas colors. I love the pTtern you made up. I too look forward to seeing your quilts hung for Christmas. They are really outstanding.

Anonymous said...

Love the runner. You are so talented. Wish I could say you got it from me, but.......
Hurry and get the Christmas quilts hung, pictures made and posted on this blog. Take care and if you run out of something to do, drop by here. We haven't done much. lum

Elizabeth said...

Love it!

xo -E