9/13/10

Back to the basics

This is a good week for me to get back to the basics.

A bed quilt. That's where I started. I made three hand quilted bed quilts. Then I had a machine quilting disaster, otherwise known as a really big UFO. And, then I made Sydney a machine quilted bed quilt last cmas. But, this is a bed quilt for us.

Elizabeth asked what size the squares are. The individual patches are 2" and 5" squares sewn into 7.5" blocks. I worried about setting this quilt in an even number of blocks as I end up with a white block in two corners and an x block in the other two corners, but it isn't bothering me. I've been thinking of making a piano key border but will probably border it in a deep red to go with the room and back it in a beige print. The thread is a variegated tan to brown. In the white sections, I'll put something with four points that fill the space all the way out into the 2" squares; probably something where I use a plate and a compass and end up with a star...that's what I'm thinking right now anyway.

Wow, such a short post. No pictures. Very little of interest. That's unusual for me, especially for a Monday. But, it was a hard parenting weekend for me, trying to keep my footing while our daughter bounced back and forth between being a perfect angel and the fire breathing spawn of satan, risen from Hell with my demise on her mind. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an overstatement, but just a tiny bit. At least that's how it feels. I only lost my cool once, but boy when I lost it, I blew like Vesuvius, taking down everyone in my path and all I accomplished was getting to spend the rest of the weekend feeling like a fool. But, you know, that was Saturday and that day is done. All I can do is wait and see what kind of parent I'll be today. Maybe a hot molten ball of melted lava, racing down a mountainside with a child in its path...or maybe the little old granny from all the tweety bird cartoons. I figure if she's gonna keep me guessing, I may as well return the favor.

Take care and have a great Monday. Lane

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the sizes. That is going to be one great quilt when you finish.

xo -E

lw said...

No one knows how to push your buttons like your own child. All you can do is walk away, take a few deep breaths-- and ask Rob to deal with it. (-;

Shay said...

Sydney will grow up knowing that people have a range of emotions. She does- why shouldnt you?

Vesuviusmama said...

I live in Vesuvius, Virginia, so I figure it is my duty to "blow" every once in a while. My kids know to expect it, but not fear it. And I live on "Rattler Road". Yup, I might "strike" every now and then, but never without fair warning.