7/21/11

Dinner anyone?

Wednesday is vegetarian night for us. Okay, so it's forced vegetarian night. Rob and Sydney wouldn't choose it, I don't think, but they have been relatively supportive of my adventures in making vegetarian dinners. Sydney's feedback was to please cook less eggplant. I can live with that. We've had a ton of different veggies, cooked in a variety of ways.

This is a picture of last night's dinner. Squash, zucchini, bell pepper, onion, potatoes, carrots. I salted and cooked the potatoes and carrots in the microwave for 5 minutes so they would be done about the same time as the softer veggies. I liberally peppered and Mrs Dash'ed and olive oiled it all and even though it conflicts with the use of the Dash, I salted it a little more and . Tossed it all in the hot grill wok and stirred every so often until it was crusty and cooked all together. We had that and a baguette and it was yum-MEEE.






Now, before you start thinking that we eat like this all the time, I must confess to Sunday lunch; a chicken that I cut in half and roasted, cut sides down on a bed of potatoes and carrots. There ain't nothin' better than potatoes and carrots, cooked in meat fat. Well, except for maybe butter.




I eat several vegetarian meals a week because it makes me feel better to know that I'm eating less meat. That's the compromise in our family. I cook a meatless meal every week for the family and then I can have all the meatless meals I want for me.




So, why have I resorted to posting about food? Because I am not sewing. I just finished a pair of shorts for me and a shirt for Sydney. Well, I say finished. I picked the button for the waistband on the shorts this morning. That's all that's left of them and I need to pick up buttons for Sydney's shirt. I changed fabrics for that shirt at the last minute and forgot that I didn't have buttons for the new piece.




I hope to get two more shirts made for our vacation and then I'm getting back to quilting. I'm starting to miss it. My latest project is folded up on the end of the sofa in the sewing room, just waiting for me to get back to it. But, that's actually a good thing because I had some extra quilting I wanted to do on it, but I was pretty much burned out from looking at it and considering leaving that last quilting out. When I pull it out, I'll be all refreshed to quilt again and able to plow through until I get it just the way I want it to be.




I have two quilts that are almost finished and I also want to get some more work done on them.




I've been in a really creative phase, trying to finish things and that left the sewing room looking like a dervish had been set loose in there. Part of that whole self care thing that I talked about on Monday includes cleaning up my space...not just the sewing room, but all my spots where I drop things when I'm too busy being creative (self indulgent) to put them where they belong.




And, I'm evaluating how much of my sewing room actually needs to go with me on vacation. You'll be proud to know that the pile is very, very small. Now, if I can just keep it that way. Maybe I should take pics before the pile gets any bigger ;-)




Everyone have a great Thursday. Lane

2 comments:

Becky said...

Dinner looks great. You can cook all the eggplant you want for me.....I love it!! I'm heading out myself for the local farmer's market in a little bit hoping they will have something similar for me to cook up.

As far a projects goes, I have 3 or 4 going simultaneously, of course. Isn't that the norm for a quilter/knitter/stitcher? It is for me at least. 3 of the projects are Christmas presents, so they GOTTA get done. I just wish I wasn't such a procrastinator! Can't wait to see pictures of your work!

Vesuviusmama said...

I went out to an Ethiopian restaurant in DC this weekend and shared a vegetarian sampler platter with my dinner companions. I was amazed at all the different and delicious flavors with which we were presented. Yum! I could eat vegetarian more often - my husband would certainly be on board. It is just those little carnivores I call children that I worry about...