9/25/12

Things progress

Things move forward until they don’t.  And, life is a road with straight-aways and curves and freeways and school zones.  And, like traffic, it moves when it wants to move, and stops when it has to.  And, you can want to speed on by, but if you do, there’s always something or someone to stop you. 

So, that bit of mental drift is brought on by hand quilting.

100_4432

If you take on a hand quilting project, you have to be ready to take it slow and steady.  You don’t want to be racing through it.  But, I like to see progress, too.  Unfortunately, just the basic work in one of these blocks takes me about three and a half hours.  Later, I’ll come back and do some background fill and I’ll do something in the sashing.  But, slow and steady always wins the race. 

You can see my sunbonnet needle case pinned to the quilt.  It has scissors and thread and usually my thimble, except the quilting thimble I bought recently rusts on the inside and I need to paint it with fingernail polish because I get a kind of a gross, rusty brown stain on the end of my middle finger that looks most unattractive.  And, it takes several washings to wear off.  And, it can’t be good for me.

Here’s a picture of the area in front of the TV in my sewing room all cleaned up.

100_4434 

Me like-y.  I’ve had all my UFO’s piled here in what seemed an out of the way place.  But, as my UFO pile got bigger, it wasn’t so out of the way anymore. 

Okay, I’m going to show you this, but you’re not allowed to think badly of me.  This is what it looked like a few days ago.  Yes, that is the same space.

100_4228 

Be well everybody.  If I find a lamp with a Genie in it, I’m going to wish for patience.  Go with the flow.  If it’s not all right, then it’s not the end.

Be well.  Lane

4 comments:

Linda said...

I promise I won't think badly of you! My sewing room looks just like that - all over the room1 I feel very out of control with it that messy, but my life can't slow down enough yet to take care of it. I would use that Genie to clean up my room!

Patricia said...

I could NEVER think badly of you---especially when you compare your creative space to mine. I am with Linda---later for the patience----I would put that Genie to work--and since he would be cleaning anyway, what about the rest of the house!!!

Coloradolady said...

You should see my sewing room....you'd pull your hair out, as I feel I need to do that myself!!! I have so much to do and no time to do it in.....story of my life!! Patience....what is that??

qltmom9 said...

My sewing stuff would be as neat as your messy in my dreams! The after pic looks SO cozy and nice though. I will TRY to get an area nice TODAY...and, remember your nice pic to get through it! I wish I had help for this torture. LOL!

Lucy~