5/28/13

Ode to the garden

Okay, not an ode, but at least some appreciation.  Sydney and I spent the day in the yard yesterday.  We cleaned out both sheds and spread most of the mulch and talked about a lot of things. 

This daylily is called a green daylily.  The yellow color of the flower is so pale that it looks greenish.  I was afraid it wasn’t going to bloom this year, but it has once again come through.

100_5393

Here is a shot of another happy gold daylily.  You can see in this shot how I love to combine different shades and shapes of green to give an appearance of fullness and contrast.  Sydney says there’s too much green because she doesn’t see the shades and shapes.  Hopefully, she’ll learn to appreciate what is behind the flowers.

100_5394

These next two are mostly mulch, but they show how good the beds looked with their fresh layer of reddish mulch underlay.

100_5395 100_5396

And, these pink caladiums have just burst out after all the rain.

100_5397 

Hmmm, I thought that would be a better picture.  One of the things I like is how well the caladiums go with the pink blocks, but they go so well that you can hardly see them. 

This is a bat face cuphea.  Can you see the little bat’s face in the flower?  Love these.  It’s my first year to have them.  I wish I had more.  But, they’re perennial, so maybe next year, I’ll have more.  The plant is only about 8 inches tall and the flowers are about the size of a thumbnail.  But very vibrant.

100_5398

This is the first of the lavender phlox to open.  Soon, these will be opening up everywhere.  They take the heat so well that I have cultivated about 10 of them, here and there, all around the yard.

100_5403

And, finally, the sun room where I spent most of Saturday.  Unfortunately, it wasn’t this clean on Saturday, which prompted me to make it a high priority on Monday so that next time I get the chance to be out there, I can be more comfortable.

100_5404

Okay, so that’s it for me today.  I wanted to show a pic of the hexie project, but I’m so near a good stopping spot that I’m going to wait until tomorrow.  I spent an obscene amount of time working on it over the weekend. 

Okay, everybody have a great Tuesday.  It will be a short week, which always means a busy week, as we try to cram 5 days of work into 4 days of workweek.  And, my back is still kind of stiff from all the bending and squatting yesterday.  My 15 year old is not suffering any of those effects and laughed at how long it took me to get up to hug her just a few minutes ago. 

Ah, youth.

Be well.  Lane

4 comments:

andsewon said...

Lane I love your garden! I am sure Sydney is soaking in a lot during these times you all spend gardening together. May not see if till years from now but it is happening!! We always had a HUGE veggie garden while kids were home. All said NO WAY would they have a garden as adults...guess what they all do and some of the best ones around!

Piece by Piece said...

Love your flowers and your garden is looking very good. Overnight we have had rain, much needed I must say, so now I will be able to get out and do more in my garden, or should I say field of weeds. My lilies are doing well even though they were moved earlier in the season.
A nice afternoon to do some sewing, the ground is too wet to work on it today. How is that for an excuse to get into the sewing room?
Have a good day.
Patricia

Elizabeth said...

Gardening is such a wonderful therapy. I love it. And I loved seeing your garden today.

xo -E

lw said...

I love the garden, especially the caladiums and the green daylily.