10/16/14

Coming together

I am very happy with how this quilt is coming together. 

100_7444

Considering where it started, it has truly come a long way.  But, even so, it’s still a learning experience quilt and is therefore full of errors.  The biggest one I’m dealing with now is how the fabric pulled in when I did the satin stitch.  Maybe I should have read some instructions again.  Anyway, that will all quilt out, right? 

Remember that I want to make one of every kind of quilt?  This one knocks a couple off the list. 

I’m adding borders now, so soon I’ll have yet another UFO to add to the pile.  I need to put a concentrated effort toward quilting; just knuckle under and pin baste a couple more quilts and get started. 

Wouldn’t it be nice if doing a thing was as easy as saying a thing?

Okay, so wish me luck that at some point of the next three days, I get two quilts pin-basted. 

Now, everybody wish for me to have time, energy, and enough batting to get two quilts pin basted.

Everybody have a great Thursday.  If nothing changes, I might take tomorrow off.  Wouldn’t that be nice? 

Lane

5 comments:

lw said...

The more I see of this quilt, the more I like it.

I enlarged the photo, but can't see the pulling in around the satin stitch. You did remind me that my favorite longarm quiter's blog, NaNa's Place on the Web, has a lot of posts about what Anita calls "issues quilts." This includes a post on what will and won't quilt out-- and you should see what she has managed to quilt out. Based on that, I don't think you'll have any problems.

http://anitaestes.wordpress.com/category/quilts-with-issues-2/

Anonymous said...

I have that problem when I use a satin or zig-zag as well. Is there a way to avoid it, maybe with tension adjustment?
Melissa in Texas

Anonymous said...

If you use tear away when doing satin stitch you should not have this problem.
Also when you quilt it the bulge most likely will be calmed down.
Good luck and love your posts daily.
Sue Smit

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Afternoon Lane, Your quilt is coming a long nicely. I was going to give you some advice about sewing satin stitch, but there has been so many pieces of advice that I think you will be fine.
I loved it when you said 'wouldn't it be nice if doing a thing was as easy as saying a thing', because I have to agree with that statement. I have so many things I really need to finish that I have now resorted to using a timetable... although I am not really a timetable sort of person..... but a girl has to do something to get herself organised.
Best Wishes
Daphne

mssewcrazy said...

Really nice! Definitely want tear away under neath. Machine embroidery thread and a lighter weight bobbin thread will give a fine satin stitch that is very nice looking. Sometimes I float a Sam's deli sheet(a type of wax paper)as tear away. It pulls away really easy. Even easier than most tear a way. I keep all kinds of stabilizer but like using this under cut a way when I need a little extra stability.