2/19/10

An update, on all things Lane

Well, here it is Friday again. Don't tell my boss, but I do NOT want to be here. It took a lot of willpower to walk away from my sewing machine and this quilt this morning. The more I quilt this, the more I like it. This is my non-traditional Storm at Sea. I just love the greens and browns. I love the circles and ribbons that are formed in it (although you have to squint your eyes just right to see the ribbons that run diagonally through the pattern).


This is not a simple pattern. So, if you make it, be prepared to have frustrating times. Just making all the sections left me so frustrated that I put it in the closet for a year before I could bring myself to put it together. But, now that it's done and I've figured out some of the secrets of the pattern, I might make another in the traditional blue and white...Rob has even suggested three shades of blue, which I think would work nicely. And, if I make it again, I think I'll quilt it to accent the diamonds that are formed when four of the diamond in a rectangle blocks intersect with a square within a square block.

And, the puppy is doing great. We made one mistake and let her bond too much with Sydney and not enough with us during that first weekend. That happened because one of the old dogs got sick and I was spending all my time with him (even staying up on the couch all night with him on my chest). So, Rob and I have our work cut out for us getting her to make better friends with us so we can handle her when the kid is not at home. Right now, I'm dealing with a lot of puppy crying after Sydney leaves and that is just breakin' my big ole heart!

I haven't lost any more weight, but better than that, I haven't gained any either. I was really worried about getting on that scale this morning after sympathy eating milkshakes and pie with Rob after he had his teeth pulled. Oh, and of course I didn't work out when he was home either.

Not going to keep updating the spending more time with the family and less time in the sewing room. You get the picture on that in all my blogs. We did pick out Sydney's classes for next year last night and looks like she's going to be taking spanish, which makes me very happy because I'll have somebody to practice with at home. I've already taught her several words and the kids at school have taught her several more, although their's is mostly colloquial and won't help with what she's learning in the classroom (and she hasn't told me if they're teaching her bad words).

And, the picture above is my current UFO, so that's meeting my goal to finish those up before I start anything new. I have quite a few and am working on at least two all the time. Right now, I'm hand quilting a little top that my mentor started as well as machine quilting the above. I can hand quilt in the living room while we watch TV and in the truck when we take roadtrips. I shudder to think about how many other UFO's there are just waiting for me to get in there and dig them out.

Take care and have a great Friday. I'm looking forward to several hours of quilting over the weekend. Who knows, I might even be able to finish this little quilt and pull out something else. Lane

10 comments:

Becky said...

Great progress! Stitch on, dear friend, stitch on!!

lw said...

That quilt is beautiful! I've tried storm at sea blocks years ago, and made a quilt, but my colors were too close together and it came out looking really flat. Maybe I should try again.

Snooze said...

it's so nice getting UFOs finished ... then its guilt free all the way with new things. I also like the idea of the quilt in a monochromatic blues: fantastic colour choice and exactly what I'm planning to make for my room). Have a great weekend.

Piece by Piece said...

Your Storm at Sea is beautiful, I can see the waves.

Patricia

Coloradolady said...

This is a beautiful quilt...my heart broke a bit for the puppy....crying after Sydney is in school....poor thing...she will adjust over time! Have a great weekend!

Quiltluver said...

I love the storm at sea pattern, and those colors are so pretty. I've always wanted to make one of those quilts. Good for you on getting your UFO's done.

Mistea said...

Love the colours in your storm quilt, gives the patterns a chance to flow. Thanks for sharing.

wordmama said...

I really love your Storm At Sea. It's the prettiest one I've ever seen! I am so glad you showed it to us. I don't know if I'll ever try that pattern, but you make me want to!

Pokey said...

I've always been partial to storm at sea. All those tricks to the eye. Nice to see it in something besides blue!

Nancy said...

I so want to make a Storm at Sea to commemorate the wicked "Perfect Storm" convergence that hit Belfast, Maine my second year there. However, it will have to have a lot of gray because that is the color the water turned. While I generally stick with muted colors in my quilts, I just had to tell you how much I love your color choices.